The Tree Thread

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely planting. I tried growing a clump like this from seed this year, but nothing germinated. Probably just as well, I don't have enough space on my benches anyway. That's why all these works-in-progress are sitting on the deck while I build a new bench to accommodate some of them.

From the left: Scots pine, Scots pine, future shohin Scots pine, future shohin birch being layered, future shohin Scots pine, future shohin Scots pine, Yew. On the table, future shohin trident, Turkey oak. All projects at different stages of development.

LOL it sounds like mine, except I literally have no space left in my back yard - 4 25ft benches, an improvised pine corner & crates all over the back garden. Still, it keeps me busy lol

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Trees hiding inside from a backyard pool party for 15 10-year olds!?
Fortunately, the rain held off until almost 12 minutes after it ended!? We narrowly dodged a scenario which could have included a bunch of soaking wet kids playing cornhole and Spikeball inside. The water balloon fight would have been canceled.
91CF86EF-42E3-433F-BD41-D4C78BF0A567.jpeg7C17B1E8-9FEE-41DD-9C32-C745D2C7ADF0.jpeg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Trees hiding inside from a backyard pool party for 15 10-year olds!?
Fortunately, the rain held off until almost 12 minutes after it ended!? We narrowly dodged a scenario which could have included a bunch of soaking wet kids playing cornhole and Spikeball inside. The water balloon fight would have been canceled.
View attachment 194929View attachment 194930

Beautiful! So nice to see them all together. Is like they're having a town hall meeting! :p

Here is a large acer palmatum under late afternoon sun. I plan to turn this one into another twin trunk design. A large back branch is currently being air layered to later graft it to the base.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've got some busy days ahead, it's all I'm saying.....check how some un-restrained growth shredded the old bark. Did de-candle last year. Limited needle pulling and no bud selection....obviously!!!!!:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

View attachment 195025

View attachment 195026

Nice! JBP? The bark looks like it could be from a JRP?

While we're on pines, posting this Scots pine (Spanish cultivar) again. Love its blueish green hue. Spent some time yesterday cutting it back and cleaning it. A thick sacrifice branch at the bottom that I am contemplating making use of it. This is a really nice piece of field grown material with a profusion of branches to choose from with no large trunk chop. Look forward to working with this tree!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First pic from 2015. Mother of god what did i do.
Second pic from a few weeks ago.
Third pic from this morning rushing before work. a little more tidying up to do. Shohin are hard to work well.
Juni1.JPG

Juni4.jpg

Juni2.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! JBP? The bark looks like it could be from a JRP?

While we're on pines, posting this Scots pine (Spanish cultivar) again. Love its blueish green hue. Spent some time yesterday cutting it back and cleaning it. A thick sacrifice branch at the bottom that I am contemplating making use of it. This is a really nice piece of field grown material with a profusion of branches to choose from with no large trunk chop. Look forward to working with this tree!

JBP......fresh bark looks a little red, right? Sep. '15.....Buds don't show any red-ness.....
DSC00585 (1).JPG
DSC02440.JPG

BRT.....Should be able to get that trunk up to speed in a coupleafew years.....already flaking light-colored "babybark"......
DSC02441.JPG
DSC02442.JPG

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! It rocks!
Looking reallly healthy, congrats.

you now owe a pic of one of your trees!

Nice underside pic @MACH5 Great branching and flawless leaves.
Pines looking vigorous @LanceMac10 i have candle envy.

Here’s an azalea I pruned back some and wired to make it more tree and less shrub.
9B5A922C-B6CC-4A8D-BADC-A031BE491968.jpeg

Top Bottom