The "What The Heck Should I Do With It" Thread

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I thought I would ask for ideas again with my tree from Post #206. I have some new pictures of the tree mostly Naked! As a reminder it is an air layer from August 2018. The base of the tree is buried to encourage root growth. I could separate the trunks....would add a lot of root work. I could do thread grafting for roots with seedlings
The only thing that is clear to me is that all the existing trunks are way too long. Being a new air layer, you may want to wait until summer to cut them down (to a branch with foliage) to half, a third, a quarter of their present length. Then I would also wire some movement into any wire-able shoots (i.e., ones that you can easily bend) afterward (to nearly fall) - just do something with them that you think might be kinda cool. Then I would start looking for a design objective and a plan for moving in that direction. About all you can worry about now is that you generally don't want long straight stems, you generally don't want stems visually crossing one another, you generally don't want stems growing into the interior of the tree. That is all I've got for ya.

Reactions: Vin

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Got this spruce that eased going to be part of a forest. The foliage of all were to heterogeneous to look good, so now this looks like crap on itself. The wires were used to pull some branches down 3 years ago. I don't even touch this tree. Don't really like it.
Do you see something other than forest? Maybe cut one trunk? Twist it?
20190316_151552.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got this spruce that eased going to be part of a forest. The foliage of all were to heterogeneous to look good, so now this looks like crap on itself. The wires were used to pull some branches down 3 years ago. I don't even touch this tree. Don't really like it.
View attachment 232418
It depends on your age. Less than fifty perhaps try removing the larger rank, introducing some movement and start developing something. Older than fifty, perhaps not.;)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I prefer to start with much more promising material, however there is lots to be learned by testing the boundaries, get the tree as healthy as possible, practice bending, see how much back budding you can induce.
Here is a possible style. Picture taken at a top show in japan.

Attachments

• IMG_8425.JPG
    IMG_8425.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 22

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 232418

I like it.
2 close trunks.

Wire the branches!

Sorce

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My first BNut contest tree! One side died back it's first winter. Last summer it had lacewings. I'm fond of it, but I'm starting to be discouraged by it; I think it's too leggy and obv not that healthy. Can I just chop it way back to a good place and let it backbud this year? Turn it next time I repot it and remove the dead side? I doubt the deadwood will last long, tho I thought it was pretty neat looking at first and I practiced a little carving. Don't make too much fun of my wire job; an attempt was made.

1552852080496.png1552852157541.png1552852453359.png

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can I just chop it way back to a good place and let it backbud this year?
Nope, you cannot do that.
You've got to get it healthy and growing to back bud.
It is a viscous circle, It takes foliage to grow roots. It takes roots to produce the cytokinins that will release buds when you cut back. You just must get that engine running.
Else, just throw it away and find something enjoyable to do with your time.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nope, you cannot do that.
You've got to get it healthy and growing to back bud.
It is a viscous circle, It takes foliage to grow roots. It takes roots to produce the cytokinins that will release buds when you cut back. You just must get that engine running.
Else, just throw it away and find something enjoyable to do with your time.
I should have known when I was typing out it wasn't healthy that I was being impatient with it. Just breathe and grab another tree... and maybe a beer first.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I prefer to start with much more promising material, however there is lots to be learned by testing the boundaries, get the tree as healthy as possible, practice bending, see how much back budding you can induce.
Here is a possible style. Picture taken at a top show in japan.
So i did just that. I will try to get a better pic

20190406_140405.jpg

Top Bottom