They're coming! Are you ready?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where did you get your netting, Judy?
amazon, most greenhouse stores don't have stock. And be careful shopping on ebay and amazon, make sure that it's not shipping from China, as the event would be over before it arrives.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Contact does kill but main method of action in ingestion. I have been using it lately because many of the plants I have have sensitivities to stronger insecticides It is old school but I just it a few weeks ago on various things infected a few JMs, including an odd scale, and everything is clean of pests now. I think if I spray when I first see the little sh....ts, I will get some control. Sevin is nice because you can spray it week or strong and you can reapply fairly often. Guess we will see but when I brought this cicada thing up a month or so back, I didn't see a lot of ideas bantered about.
Of course a lot of people aren't going to tolerate white stuff on their leaves. I don't like it, but hopefully the cicada won't either.
Best of luck to all in these cicada days.
From what I understand they don't actually eat the plants. So that method may not work, and there are soooo many of them.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm hoping the projections for Ohio are correct showing my area less affected than the 2016 brood.
I hope the little buggers can read a map... I'm in Coshocton.
Deciduous trees, like elm, chestnut, ash, maple, and oak, are the preferred host trees of periodical cicadas. They will flag the branches of these trees, but only young ones are at risk.

1620219080300.png

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I understand they don't actually eat the plants. So that method may not work, and there are soooo many of them.
Understood. They have been eating for 17 years so I know they are not hungry. They just want to breed. I am using it because I think it will inhibit the female laying eggs on a surface that is coated with Sevin. I will be closely monitoring the event and I do have frost blankets and some netting.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm hoping the projections for Ohio are correct showing my area less affected than the 2016 brood.
I hope the little buggers can read a map... I'm in Coshocton.
Deciduous trees, like elm, chestnut, ash, maple, and oak, are the preferred host trees of periodical cicadas. They will flag the branches of these trees, but only young ones are at risk.

View attachment 372621
Looks like I get the best of both worlds, I'm right where the 16 and 21 line crosses at Fairfield/Pickaway . Good luck to you!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These are different than the yearly cycle of cicadas that we get in late summer every year. I am glad to see that you are out of the area for this mass event, although the reason for that is rather sad.

Understood. We had some the year that another brood (the 14 year ones I think) emerged 3 years ago.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
We get Cicadids here every year and it varies from year to year how plentiful they are. I have never had a problem with them on my bonsai *knocks wood*

From the Wikipedia article:

Guess I dont have to worry about this brood:cool:

Yup, looks like we're safe for now.
Knock on wood...

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was stationed in Maryland the last time they came out... they left their exoskeleton on everything.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't done the math but I know when I was somewhere in my late teens / earl 20s, a situation of the roads being slippery with them in NO VA. I guess three 17 year broods would make that 51 years ago. I would have been 20 going on 21. That sounds right.
It is an interesting phenomena.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I placed a call to my local nursery. They said it's effecting west Ohio...not our area. We will see minimal annual like always. But Phil even said the large cycle for our area will hit 2033. Not before. They aren't covering anything at the landscape nursery. And they have nice specimen trees for sale.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Northern IL, we have Brood XIII, brood 13. We're not due until 2024.

The cicadas are not as abundant as they used to be. Lawn care treatments for Japanese beetles and such have greatly reduced abundance. Where they emerge, there tends to be very high density, but now it's not an entire region. Areas, like suburban lawns, golf courses, and other "managed areas" will be silent, because the pesticides used to create perfect suburban lawns kill off the larva while they are underground sucking on tree roots.

Where they emerge, they will be in high numbers, but they won't be everywhere. You might have to drive to someplace where no lawn chemicals are used to hear them.

Lawn chemicals are also the reason fire flies are not as abundant as they used to be.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In the state of Virginia you can buy this, or so the internet says...
1620410673136.png

these cicadas are amazing! I didn't know about these things. Do they work like clockwork? 17 years underground and all emerge in the same year?? Seems like the biblical plague!
This guy says (sih-kah-da) we pronounce it (sih-kay-duh)
1620411484451.png

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have cicada killer wasps in my neighborhood. They're enormous. So maybe more of them this year too. You should see them flying off like dumbo with a cicada in their clutches, struggling to stay in the air.

View attachment 373169

A cicada killer was the pride of my 8th grade insect collection :D

I happened to hear it kill the cicada and see it fall to the ground. Shortly thereafter it flew nearly a quarter mile carrying that thing. I chased it the whole time. A bug big enough to carry a bug that is an inch or more long can be seen from quite a distance!

Cicada killers nest in the ground. Once I caught up to it and watched where it dragged the carcus into the ground, it was a simply matter of finding a large jar, placing it over the hole...and waiting.

All the boys were jealous...all the girls were terrified...when I gave my presentation to the class :D

Different story, I remember going to Brookfield Zoo near Chicago when they last emerged there. The place was crazy! My rambunctious son was running down a path and jumped up to pull a branch...and a crapton of bugs fell from the tree onto everyone! Including a woman walking a baby stroller!! Sigh...I used to have to apologize a lot for that kid :)

Top Bottom