Thoughts on Collecting in Early Spring vs. Late Summer

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Much of what I have read about the ideal time for collecting recommends early spring, as buds are beginning to swell. More and more I am encountering advice to collect in late summer when the tree is focusing energy on increasing trunk girth and building roots. I would love to hear nut's opinions on when they like to collect what types of trees and why they choose the time they do. Please feel free to include aftercare that may be more fitting to your preferred timing as well. I suspect that different species in different climates respond better to one over the other, and it would be nice to gather these specifics in one place.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So much depends on the species and where in the country you live...

For example in Southern California, our killing season is mid-late summer. Everything hunkers down and goes dormant due to heat and lack of water and humidity. Peak collecting season in the mountains or deserts is winter... so that you can maximize your chances to establish your collected tree before summer arrives.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What BNut said. The only way you'll know for sure is to just experiment in your own climate area with your own species. What works in one area may not necessarily work in another. Also, if you're collecting in a spot where there's been a summer drought, the trees may be too stressed to make it whereas if the summer has been rainy they might. Lots of factors to consider.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found techniques and protocols for my area to be off by about a continent..
So trial and error, or try all and error, it is for me.
When collecting I like to spread my chances with the same species. So I collect early, mid and late season. That seems to work.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So much depends on the species and where in the country you live...

Also what kind of aftercare environment you can provide.

I like spring collection since you have all season to gain strength going into winter. Late summer collection doesn't leave that much time before winter.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off it’s zone 4 here that means -25 C for multiple weeks in heart of winter . It is still Kate winter here snow is 80 percent gone but ground is still frozen . I collect in the spring . Give maximum time for recovery before the largest challenge . Which is winter . Some collect late summer but I have not . I think the only time I would consider it here . Is partial dig a tree in the spring . And cut roots to attempt to get roots to grow closer to trunk . I have done this prune idea . And collected next spring . But I think the young new roots near trunk suffered in winter . Next time I try it I’ll collect in fall to protect the roots . But I have never done fall . Those that do here abs have success have ability to keep . Trees above freezing over winter I do not . But it’s very climate oriented . I’m fairly confident that if I lived in the south . I would collect in the fall . Give the tree a nice cool non frozen winter to recoup . Before attempting to grow in spring and prepare for the heat of summer

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The most important factor involved in fall collection is to keep the trees from freezing over the winter. Unless you're lucky enough to have a heated greenhouse this is almost impossible. I don't have a greenhouse and have lost every tree I've collected in the fall. Well, I should say every conifer I've tried collecting in the fall.
It's much easier, for me, to keep a tree cool and moist and protected through the summer and spring collection has been very successful for both conifers and deciduous trees.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The most important factor involved in fall collection is to keep the trees from freezing over the winter. Unless you're lucky enough to have a heated greenhouse this is almost impossible. I don't have a greenhouse and have lost every tree I've collected in the fall. Well, I should say every conifer I've tried collecting in the fall.
It's much easier, for me, to keep a tree cool and moist and protected through the summer and spring collection has been very successful for both conifers and deciduous trees.
That’s exactly my stand . I know people that have successfully done it and froze the trees in the winter . But like you spring is easier and gives max time for tree to recover before the hardship of winter . But it’s a climate thing . Like I said if I lived in the south were winter was just a cool period . And summer very hot . Fall may make sense . Just like up here collect when you can have max time to recover before hardship . There the hardship may be the heat of summer

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Location, location, location…..Up here in the PNW 50th parallel I’ve collected mostly from late August to early October with great success. I do nothing to the root ball… place it into a grow box (with pure pumice) or a raised vegetable garden bed (has a lot of used bonsai soil) and leave them for two years before exploring the root ball. Species collected; Shore Pine, Balsam (lasiocarpa), Mountain Hemlock, Yellow Cedar, Saskatoon berry, pacific crab apple, bitter cherry, western red cedar. In spring I’ve had success with Red Alder, Trembling Aspen, and some urban maple rescues.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Location is a prominent factor, and not only in reference to climate conditions. Soil content of the collection site is as much of a factor in the collectability of the trees. Heavy impacted clay and rock are the worst because there's usually very little of the feeder roots near the base of the trees. A lot of excavation is required to seek out and retrieve as much roots as possible. I have several trees that are excellent specimens, mostly Pacific yew and a couple of Doug Fir, that I have been waiting on collecting till I learned more and the more I learn the more I consider these trees uncollectible. It's a heartbreak for sure, but sometimes you just have to except the facts and leave it be. Always open to suggestions.
I am going to try one tree on a three year program. Trenching halfway around and filling with sphagnum the first year. Then the other side the next, if I see good rooting in the first half. If not I'll leave it another year and then proceed, lifting the tree if and when I get good rooting all around. This one is within walking distance and easy access to the tree, most of the others, not so much.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Location is a prominent factor, and not only in reference to climate conditions. Soil content of the collection site is as much of a factor in the collectability of the trees. Heavy impacted clay and rock are the worst because there's usually very little of the feeder roots near the base of the trees. A lot of excavation is required to seek out and retrieve as much roots as possible. I have several trees that are excellent specimens, mostly Pacific yew and a couple of Doug Fir, that I have been waiting on collecting till I learned more and the more I learn the more I consider these trees uncollectible. It's a heartbreak for sure, but sometimes you just have to except the facts and leave it be. Always open to suggestions.
I am going to try one tree on a three year program. Trenching halfway around and filling with sphagnum the first year. Then the other side the next, if I see good rooting in the first half. If not I'll leave it another year and then proceed, lifting the tree if and when I get good rooting all around. This one is within walking distance and easy access to the tree, most of the others, not so much.
Good plan if you have easy access . I have also opened up the root ball close to the trunk . Add soil and slow release fertilizer . And water it regular . DE is good hee for moisture retention . Less access to tree dig out long trailing roots prune back to active roots . Seal it in large zip lock back full of bonsai soil leave it on the ground to soak up sun and heat .

Top Bottom