Thoughts on ferts

Reaction score
The above works a treat for planted tank. You'd be fertilizing by excess so you need to have good substratum and watering lots.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or just take 5 scoops of miracle grow mix it in a gallon of water and pour it on the trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Two thoughts on fertilizer. Im a farmer and it matters alot how much I put down so I pay attention to these things. Two papers, and I'm sorry I don't have links to them that made me take an interest is had the following results. One demonstrated the existence of luxury consumption of K in the fall in perennial rye. This resulted in more resistance to freeze damage and better resistance to and faster recovery from desiccation. And the most interesting, to me, showed that poa pratensis took up N most efficiently when the N:K ratio of the solution was 2:3 despite there being no additional uptake of K. All of this is interesting to me because it shows that plants are more complex than Liebigs law would seem to indicate.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting Mike,

as we get good rich deep greens and slow, growing tough shoots with 1/3 the strength Miracle Gro lawn fertiliser.
Wondering if all that extra of yours just washes out by the second watering ?
Good Day
Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting Mike,

as we get good rich deep greens and slow, growing tough shoots with 1/3 the strength Miracle Gro lawn fertiliser.
Wondering if all that extra of yours just washes out by the second watering ?
Good Day
Anthony
Pretty sure it's gone soon. I water the same way. Stand back with my wand and soak the whole tree and pot or colander until it's running freely.

Reaction score
Two thoughts on fertilizer. Im a farmer and it matters alot how much I put down so I pay attention to these things. Two papers, and I'm sorry I don't have links to them that made me take an interest is had the following results. One demonstrated the existence of luxury consumption of K in the fall in perennial rye. This resulted in more resistance to freeze damage and better resistance to and faster recovery from desiccation. And the most interesting, to me, showed that poa pratensis took up N most efficiently when the N:K ratio of the solution was 2:3 despite there being no additional uptake of K. All of this is interesting to me because it shows that plants are more complex than Liebigs law would seem to indicate.

I have not read the paper so I do not know the details. However, I do not think this contradicts the Liebig's law, although I also think that the Law must be seen as indicative. There are many factors that could potentially affect nutrient assimilation. What I was suggesting is that one feeds by excess so that stoichiometric ratios are not a problem.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not read the paper so I do not know the details. However, I do not think this contradicts the Liebig's law, although I also think that the Law must be seen as indicative. There are many factors that could potentially affect nutrient assimilation. What I was suggesting is that one feeds by excess so that stoichiometric ratios are not a problem.
Don't know any laws or ratios . I just know it works.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Mike,
https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/d.../2014LPT/gglpt-8-6-14-Willy-Glenn-Compost.pdf

I was going to suggest an experiment using very, very little peat moss [ holds 15 times it's weight in water ] but I see now compost holds
20 times it's weight in water.

So a little bit of compost added to an inorganic mix, could hold a good bit of fertiliser, ease up your watering,aionnd $$ on fertiliser.
Just a suggestion.

Well now we know why our under 4" in tiny pots have no problems with full sun and being watered like the big trees.
Thanks for inspiring me to look up the topic.
Good Day
Anthony

* Wow look at the bacterial content.

Top Bottom