Thoughts on Pots for ficus

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hate trying to find the right pot...

I think this can be a sign that you haven't found a "right right" pot yet for anything. Which would be good because when you do.....I believe a new feeling will come over you.

Truth, the leaning cascade from that contest slays! For me, that's above 80/80 pot/tree. However, being slightly outside "traditional", it may keep the "new feeling" rather.... Fleeting.

I think the closer one moves toward "traditional", the harder it becomes to move the values up, since the margin of error is less.

I don't have any trees over 50's. But this nontradish Dasu reads over 80 with this tree on it's way.
20210515_061227.jpg

30/20 but "wet.
20210515_061317.jpg

I think this woofire pot skews my numbers.
20210515_061334.jpg

I think having these values for everything you look at makes finding a pot easier.

Even if I dont get to repot it until 2022 its fine, I just know I need to start looking.

I commend the patience, extend it!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
kinda funny when someone posts and the pot is garnering more interest than the tree itself, is that really how it should be. not so sure. a few years ago when i was fairly new and looking for a pot for my best elm, a wise man said: ' i like a pot that makes the tree the star, understated'

ive always stuck with that mantra, and i think thats why plain brown 'earthy' pots are a great, universal match for nearly every tree.

each to their own, i never really got into the pot addiction, i prefer to spend more on the tree and pair it with a less expensive but decent enough understated pot.

couple Erin pots i put up for sale yest, these in my view are good quality understated pots that the tree can shine in, fairly cheap too.
I'm not picking a bone with you, but some of us are really, really amateurs and are not constrained to play by Marquess of Queensberry Rules, nor are we of a caliber to do so. It's kind-of like Touch Football rules... We still admire the real stuff.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not picking a bone with you, but some of us are really, really amateurs and are not constrained to play by Marquess of Queensberry Rules, nor are we of a caliber to do so. It's kind-of like Touch Football rules... We still admire the real stuff.
wasnt really aware of any rules, just seemed to make sense to me. have a nice day.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
guidelines yes, but ultimately pot choice is subjective right.
but it makes perfect sense to me that whatever the choice, your tree should stand out or be the 'star'. i understand that others will see it differently.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've been hunting for a pot for the Ryusen forever and a day. It can become taxing. To the point I take breaks.

Finding the right pot is a heady high. Best of luck...my willow leaf...still needs refinement...so will stay in the pot it came from. It's a mass produced pot. But it's in training...so no biggie.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I buy pots that I like when I see them, all for no particular tree, just to have them. When it comes time to repot something I look thru what I have and that's my not-so-intelligent process.

Haha, Ive done this too but what has resulted is I have a lot of pots that dont have trees. So Ive now switched gears and buy a pot when I feel that a tree is almost ready for it. I might have a pot for this one which Ill also get some pictures of later this afternoon when I get the chance

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
. a few years ago when i was fairly new and looking for a pot for my best elm, a wise man said: ' i like a pot that makes the tree the star, understated'

ive always stuck with that mantra, and i think thats why plain brown 'earthy' pots are a great, universal match for nearly every tree.

each to their own, i never really got into the pot addiction, i prefer to spend more on the tree and pair it with a less expensive but decent enough understated pot.

couple Erin pots i put up for sale yest, these in my view are good quality understated pots that the tree can shine in, fairly cheap too.

This is pretty much where I am at. I want a pot that complements the tree not takes attention away from it

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think this can be a sign that you haven't found a "right right" pot yet for anything. Which would be good because when you do.....I believe a new feeling will come over you.

Sorce

I definitely have trees that are paired with the right pots.
Here is where I stumble.
When you're looking online at a picture of the pot, its hard getting the right size and the shape.
When Im standing with a display of pots and the tree isnt there, its also hard to judge the right size and shape.
I also have my own biases for pots I tend to favor which may not be the best paring.

I think its just going to take practice and paring more pots with trees and just learning.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Haha, Ive done this too but what has resulted is I have a lot of pots that dont have trees. So Ive now switched gears and buy a pot when I feel that a tree is almost ready for it. I might have a pot for this one which Ill also get some pictures of later this afternoon when I get the chance
Yes, but look at all the potters that would be in bread lines if we didn't keep our part of the bargain... Don't just think of yourself! Do it for Art.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I definitely have trees that are paired with the right pots.
Here is where I stumble.
When you're looking online at a picture of the pot, its hard getting the right size and the shape.
When Im standing with a display of pots and the tree isnt there, its also hard to judge the right size and shape.
I also have my own biases for pots I tend to favor which may not be the best paring.

I think its just going to take practice and paring more pots with trees and just learning.
When you take photos, stretch a tape measure for scale, and provide the dimensions of the current pot. Hunting down pots is the fun stuff!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This is about as true as words have ever been typed.

Part of the Value I'm trying to make present on my website is to provide enough pictures and information to get a really good understanding of what the pot is. To overcome this problem of not having the pot in front of you.

Thanks for the help with the information.

It's a problem hardly addressed, so I reckon fixing it is even further out.

I guess it's harder with rounds....

But some scrap cardboard can be folded up to simulate a rectangles dimensions fairly well, essentially bringing the pot home without bringing the pot home.

Hell, hologram pots should be a thing shortly. Download the file, project it, pot it.... decide.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Part of the Value I'm trying to make present on my website is to provide enough pictures and information to get a really good understanding of what the pot is. To overcome this problem of not having the pot in front of you.

Thanks for the help with the information.

Sorce

This is definitely one of the things I like about your website. You have LOTS of pictures and lots of angles.

If you want some constructive criticism, I can PM you with things I dont like as much about what you offer.
Some of it is opinion and everyone has one like the other thing everyone has...lol. Some of it I think is experience.

I realize you are still fairly new to bonsai pot making but I think with more practice and making more pots you're going to be a great source (lol no pun intended) for American made pots

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m very much in the watch-and-learn phase, but I really enjoy seeing the pot changes in progression threads — the differences can be so surprising, even (especially?) the subtle ones. If I had a tree ready now, I might be searching through the media images for something akin to it, to see what warmed my heart.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is pretty much where I am at. I want a pot that complements the tree not takes attention away from it
i think we are blessed to have Walters collection right here on the forum, his tree pot combos are often spot on or just a great source of inspo/ideas when searching for what fits a particular species.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i think we are blessed to have Walters collection right here on the forum, his tree pot combos are often spot on or just a great source of inspo/ideas when searching for what fits a particular species.

I would say the same about Brian Van Fleet, Adair. Mach5 and anyone else that has pushed their bonsai game to a higher level

Top Bottom