Threadbranch False Cypress - Styling Question

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
TheSteve: You are right: First cousin to Hinokis - no back budding on this bad boy.

October: Very little disturbance to the roots this year - all I did was lift out the root ball, clear away the excess soil in the bottom of the pot, and put it right back in. Should be fine. [fingers crossed]

tmmason: Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my trees.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a beautiful tree, I'd say you've nailed the naturalistic style with this one. Especially the crown an area that to my eyes often falls short of being naturalistically convincing in most bonsai I see. One thing that is not as Convincing to me with this design is the long lower jinns though. This tree speaks to me of a tree growing in a misty rainforest type setting. In that type of setting dead branches tend to get mossy and start to decay. I wouldn't expect to see lower dead limbs to that scale, rather I would expect to see them broken off nearer the trunk. Love the tree!

aidan13

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wilmington, NC (8a) and Charlotte, NC (7b)
USDA Zone
8a
Grouper, your trees are always beyond stunning. False cypresses are a favorite of mine, so I was pretty excited when I saw your name next to the title of the thread! Fantastic tree, thanks for sharing!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s funny that you notice about the top. Tops of trees are often the hardest part to do convincingly in a naturalistic style. I’ve never liked the green helmet look of the Japanese aesthetic, and early in the hobby I paid a lot of attention to what the Chinese did, which was much more attractive and many times more convincing.

My time with Dan Robinson then took that to yet another level. Those who have pursued more than a cursory reading of Gnarly Branches will know of the lifetime of study Dan has devoted to understanding how trees age. To travel with him all over the mountain West is to be exposed to an almost endless stream of examples of tops of dying trees. He knows where the ancient trees are on almost every stretch of road we traveled, and has memorized all the ones with great and illustrative tops. He’d explain about the classic White pine top off to the left in Stevens Pass, and then the Nobel fir a mile later, then the Engelmann spruce and the nearby Doug fir around the next hairpin turn, and on and on for hours - each dead top different, unique for that species, allowing identification miles away. He has even bugged me repeatedly to write and photograph a second book with him, all about dead tops on old growth survivors, and how trees age, but I cannot get into the idea enough to do it, and I sincerely doubt there are more than ten people in the entire country that would pay for such a tome.

Speaking of Dan, he also used to chide me for my fascination with overly long jins - as a shrink, I would kid him that it probably spoke to a deep-seated Freudian pathology on my part, and he’d let it go. But recently he’s actually complimented me a few times on some of them, and leaves me alone about the others. In addition, since most of my trees are up for sale these days, I figure - in my most conniving, capitalistic fashion - that the long jins disturb people who would otherwise find a tree beautiful, and that the ugly jin might just motivate them to purchase the tree to rescue it, out of some sense of moral and aesthetic duty. :D

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This thread will certainly open my Wife's eyes to what is possible outside of the Tropical world, TYSVM :D

Top Bottom