Tiger Bark ficus yellow leaves brown spots dropping a lot

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What is your night temps? Being you are from NJ? Honestly...ficus can self defoliate and come back just fine.

I don't know your substrate personally. That said, this is a tried and trusted method of helping ones understand when to water.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What is your night temps? Being you are from NJ? Honestly...ficus can self defoliate and come back just fine.

I don't know your substrate personally. That said, this is a tried and trusted method of helping ones understand when to water.
So I was skimming through this site and saw your tiger bark. Holy crap dude. That is one of the most beautiful trees I've ever seen.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I'm two minutes from NYC so temps here are crazy. Hit 91 yesterday then dropped to 58. Lowest temps next ten days are a low of 56. I read you don't put yours out till it exceeds 65? I'm just worried the humidifier damaged this tree cuz the same thing is happening to a dwarf pitch apple I have but not as severe. So I put outside to spray and get sun.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm two minutes from NYC so temps here are crazy. Hit 91 yesterday then dropped to 58. Lowest temps next ten days are a low of 56. I read you don't put yours out till it exceeds 65? I'm just worried the humidifier damaged this tree cuz the same thing is happening to a dwarf pitch apple I have but not as severe. So I put outside to spray and get sun.
Many put theirs out now up north. I'm just having a good growing season starting inside that...Is the reason I hold off. 56F won't hurt it, but it would slow my growing I am seeing now. My method is for longer growing up north.. I keep a humidifier running in the room. But alas...not in an enclosed environment. You don't have my environment inside...so outside maybe best to offer it a chance. But you will need to tweak your set up for next wintering season. Maybe not enclose the front...leave it open to get air flow. May help. Wish you the best.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I was skimming through this site and saw your tiger bark. Holy crap dude. That is one of the most beautiful trees I've ever seen.
Thank you. I still pinch myself. Hunted a few years for the right one. Since I have limited space inside for wintering.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mine went out this week... If you’re CAREFUL.. they’ll just yellow slightly...

But even if my leaves dropped.. I wouldn’t worry much...

Sometimes figs need a “summer coat”

🤓

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Personally I would two step if it goes below 55F. That's just me...since it is not a happy tree right now. I know a few who that is there number for moving tropical in and out. I am more comfortable with that...even though I don't use that temp for my own moving in and out.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Personally I would two step if it goes below 55F. That's just me...since it is not a happy tree right now. I know a few who that is there number for moving tropical in and out. I am more comfortable with that...even though I don't use that temp for my own moving in and out.
Haha! 55 is what I tell, also.. but 50 is my number :)

My microclimate hasn’t gotten below 50 in 8 days, now. 🤓

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Haha! 55 is what I tell, also.. but 50 is my number :)

My microclimate hasn’t gotten below 50 in 8 days, now. 🤓
Well, I know Sandy uses 55 as her guide. I wouldn't push a tree which is having issues. Ficus are tough. But a weak tree is weak. Why risk it?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well, I know Sandy uses 55 as her guide. I wouldn't push a tree which is having issues. Ficus are tough. But a weak tree is weak. Why risk it?
Oh yeah! Ficus/Tropical/arid “ICU” is indoors, and my stuff WON’T go out without established roots. (Or customary vigor)

But if I’m growing (Healthy) Ficus, that couldn’t handle a drop from 55-50..... I’m probably underestimating it...

I do still TELL everybody 55... Ficus “moves” with my Pomegranates, Chiles and toms, and Sempivernums (sp?) Which all IDEALLY “move at 55” but I use that 5 degrees as a buffer... I haven’t lost any leaves in those 8 days... yet. 🤣

If they appeared to “slow down” or that they were adversely effected, though, I would alter my process.. I’m figuring out my ficus schedules, as I didn’t have any last year.

I always appreciate you taking this time with me to discuss “Cold Weather Folk” issues with me.

🤓

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would u bring it at night or bring in altogether? The bio advanced fungicide, says spray every 14 days what happens if I move it up a tad? In your experience when do u water yours and what kind of mix is it in? I think my watering is good just trying to hear other people's stories.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
just trying to hear other people's stories.
While we wait for Darlene, who will always have better advice than I do🤣🤓..

I’ll share mine..

If i WOULD use fungicide, although I try to, now, make sure it never comes to that, (Obviously, things happen), I second-dosed at 10-12 days.

I water THROUGH daily, and my ficus are in 1:1 DE and Perlite, with about 2 cups Azomite (per “tote”) and 1.5 cups Osmocote.

Sometimes smaller containers are bone-dry by 3pm.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would u bring it at night or bring in altogether? The bio advanced fungicide, says spray every 14 days what happens if I move it up a tad? In your experience when do u water yours and what kind of mix is it in? I think my watering is good just trying to hear other people's stories.
Mine is in Adam Lavigne 's substrate mix. No two peoples watering stories will be the same. Climate, and season will alter watering schedules for one person alone.

Your indoor set up brought problems. Until you work the kinks out and it's warm outside do the two step when needed.

Fungicide treatments have a regiment on the bottle for a reason. Follow the instructions. Your tree is already weak don't try and push the boundaries with it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mine is in Adam Lavigne 's substrate mix. No two peoples watering stories will be the same. Climate, and season will alter watering schedules for one person alone.

Your indoor set up brought problems. Until you work the kinks out and it's warm outside do the two step when needed.

Fungicide treatments have a regiment on the bottle for a reason. Follow the instructions. Your tree is already weak don't try and push the boundaries with it.
Perfectly said!

Very diplomatic!

You’ve done mission work, probably.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't get much weaker than this I reckon'......

DSC00904.JPG

Tomorrow or Saturday I'll put the saw to it, cut off 'till I get to the useful bits and throw it into the sun. At least we can see what happens!

Only waited because the pot will be toast upon removal.........

DSC00905.JPG

sorry for the threadbomb @power270lb but we'll use it as an instructional tool...what is/isn't possible. It is "bonsai" however, not a lot happens "overnight", 'cept drying out of course... ;) 😁😁😁😁

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't get much weaker than this I reckon'......

View attachment 376053

Tomorrow or Saturday I'll put the saw to it, cut off 'till I get to the useful bits and throw it into the sun. At least we can see what happens!

Only waited because the pot will be toast upon removal.........

View attachment 376054

sorry for the threadbomb @power270lb but we'll use it as an instructional tool...what is/isn't possible. It is "bonsai" however, not a lot happens "overnight", 'cept drying out of course... ;) 😁😁😁😁
Why would you potentially remove what is possible dormant? Instead of waiting for warmer weather and a stronger tree? Just curious. Assuming dormant...since we don't really potentially want to work weak trees. Just trying to understand your process. Since that is one cool piece. I'm sort of sad to hear it will be chopped up.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why would you potentially remove what is possible dormant? Instead of waiting for warmer weather and a stronger tree? Just curious. Assuming dormant...since we don't really potentially want to work weak trees. Just trying to understand your process. Since that is one cool piece. I'm sort of sad to hear it will be chopped up.
Bro I don't get it. Moved it outside into the sun, sprayed with bio advanced fungicide like the nursery (wigerts) suggested. There's new growth but even that drops off. It's lost 60% probably more of it's leaves. Is it possible it's root bound? I don't see how I just changed the soil months ago and it seemed fine although I do see roots on one of the holes. My Fukien Tea was doing same thing, ever since I watered daily it's thriving. Leaves went from yellow green to dark green again. The bark is green, I just don't get it. Is this just shedding it's old stuff? But then why do newer leaves drop? Oh and no worries @LanceMac10

Attachments

• PXL_20210521_225832568.jpg
    PXL_20210521_225832568.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210521_225838656.jpg
    PXL_20210521_225838656.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210521_225848967.jpg
    PXL_20210521_225848967.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210521_225908853.jpg
    PXL_20210521_225908853.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 15

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It isn't rootbound. My ficus hasn't been repotted since 2019 and growing like mad...and drains fine.

Pests can destroy foliage. Just make sure to be diligent with regiment the bottle says to use.

It's a ficus...you should win this round with pests. Be patient.

Roots peaking at a drain hole you say. You should see my bougainvillea right now. 🤣 I'm out with the dogs will grab a photo later.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Roots currently on my bougainvillea... I forgot to post earlier.

So an escaping root from a drain hole...is no real concern. I just cut them off. But they grow like mad inside.
20210521_194857.jpg

Top Bottom