Time For A New Pot?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I repotted this Trident this Spring but never really felt the pot was right for it. The moss has gotten out of hand and the roots are already circling the inside of pot. It's going to go in another pot in about two months. Ant suggestions would be appreciated. (That one leaf has been holding on a good two weeks past the others :)).

IMG_1279.JPG

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful tree Vin! You've done well with it. I think it's well proportioned. I agree that a better pot is needed here. I think is too "soft" for it and clearly in need of a repot! The thing that my eye gets caught on is the small scar on the left side of the trunk. I'd cut it smooth or at least reduce it.

Very natural looking!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The thing that my eye gets caught on is the small scar on the left side of the trunk. I'd cut it smooth or at least reduce it.
LOL! That's the first thing I noticed when I took the photo today. I was like "Where did that come from? It's got to go". I see what you mean about being soft. I commissioned a pot for it but I'm considering using it for another tree. Maybe I should reconsider. I'll get some photos of it posted soon. Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does this tree call for another "blue pot special"?

Reactions: Vin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great tree, Vin! My go to with deciduous is almost always an oval, but I think I could see this in a glazed rectangle, too, and I'm thinking about the same height and width of the current pot. That's a powerful little tree, man!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great tree, Vin! My go to with deciduous is almost always an oval, but I think I could see this in a glazed rectangle, too, and I'm thinking about the same height and width of the current pot. That's a powerful little tree, man!
Thank you! The pot I was going to use is a semi-rectangle (if that's a pot type) matte glaze with a more rugged look to it.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
nice tree that will surely look better in that other pot. if size is right anywayz.

its funny how some faults are easily visible on pictures but not in reality.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think that pot is very nice! I like the fact that it's a soft rectangle.

nice tree that will surely look better in that other pot. if size is right anywayz.

its funny how some faults are easily visible on pictures but not in reality.

Photography is probably the best tool to "catch design faults". Amazing how things show up that otherwise we don't see in person!! I believe that a tree should look good on a photo and look great in person.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
F ing V.

No that's not a guitar.

Randy Ass Holding out again!

That's pimp!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Killer tree, @Vin !!!!!

Then I got to thinkin'......where the hell ya' been hiding this pudgy lil' temptress with a killer "rack"......
farley.gif I've been duped, your not just a pretty face, you got skills too.......:D:D:D:D:D

Looking at it.....
taxi 1.gif

It's really powerful and a little ominous....so I gotta' figure, a little less this...
elton.gif

and a little more this.....
danzig.gif

Some shapes and colors, not so much dimensions......just spitballin'......:p:D:D:D:D:D
bjorn 1.jpg bjorn 2.jpg

bjorn 3.jpg

roy.jpg

http://www.bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Killer tree, @Vin !!!!!
Then I got to thinkin'......where the hell ya' been hiding this pudgy lil' temptress with a killer "rack"......
View attachment 126949 I've been duped, your not just a pretty face, you got skills too.......:D:D:D:D:D

Looking at it.....
View attachment 126950

It's really powerful and a little ominous....so I gotta' figure, a little less this...
View attachment 126951

and a little more this.....
View attachment 126952

Some shapes and colors, not so much dimensions......just spitballin'......:p:D:D:D:D:D
View attachment 126953 View attachment 126954

View attachment 126955

View attachment 126956

http://www.bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/
WOW! I got four GIF's! I'm not worthy.. :D

I absolutely love Roy's work but I believe most of his glazes are too loud for this tree. That second oval could work I think. Lots to consider. Thanks for the input.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
most of his glazes are too loud for this tree input.

Agreed....that was about as demure as I could find!!:cool:
I'm curious how it would look in an unglazed container, but a subtle glazed pot would probably work a little better?:confused:

What kind of dimensions on a container are in your plans?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the idea of a soft rectangle for your tree, something about the emblem (?) on the front of the one you are showing might be a bit busy for your tree. I'm into cream colored pots these days, nice simple elegant... Lovely trident. Thanks for finally sharing stuff with us again Vin!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree. Any progressions shots of this one? I agree about cream colored pots.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Beautiful tree. Any progressions shots of this one? I agree about cream colored pots.
Thank you Al but I cannot take credit for its progression as I've only had the tree a year. When I received it the pot was cracked and it was in need of a good prune and repot. It was a bit neglected. I pruned a few inches off the entire canopy and brought a couple branches down on the left. This entire year I've been working on ramification and leaf reduction. When I repot it, I think I'm going to tilt it to the left a few degrees and adjust the front slightly. You just can't see enough of the trunk as it sets in the pot currently. I'm also going to sic my dremel on it and try to expose more of the rock that the trunk has enveloped. However, I'm having second thoughts and may just let it disappear on its own. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a cream colored pot. :)

Top Bottom