Timing for second cutting of JBP seedlings

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm reading through this thread and trying to understand this whole process of "first cutting, second cutting, etc". Can anyone link me to a thread that explains the entire process and the results that come from it? I mainly grow tropicals, and I'm trying to see if I can apply this concept to my tropical trees. Thank you.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone, I'm reading through this thread and trying to understand this whole process of "first cutting, second cutting, etc". Can anyone link me to a thread that explains the entire process and the results that come from it? I mainly grow tropicals, and I'm trying to see if I can apply this concept to my tropical trees. Thank you.
If you read back this thread you will find much answers to your questions. Mark Comstock (kingsville grower) was so kind to contribute with superb information!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats interesting Vin, you're cutting as soon as the little guys have roots again? I tried this once but I had no success. I always got the impression MC was cutting later, like half a season or a season. Well done!

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Thats interesting Vin, you're cutting as soon as the little guys have roots again? I tried this once but I had no success. I always got the impression MC was cutting later, like half a season or a season. Well done!
Thanks Jeff

I check the roots in 3 weeks after the first cut, if it is less than 6, I cut again.
I sterilise the growing pot and use a clean blade, very high humidity. In 30 days results are amazing.

Idea is to do before the main needles start appearing and the stem is not woody.

I have done some experiments with 1-year-old Scots pine as well. They do not take the second cut well. The tissue is alive for the last 4 months but only callus formation and no roots. I need to do something differently. I will see what else can be done.

cheers

Top Bottom