Tips on repotting both the smallest and largest of bonsai using the Mirai methodology

Reaction score
what about this is “mirai methodology”?

i think what you mean is, repotting as you happened to learn it from mirai.

see also my comments here:

What about your comment needs to be said? Just enjoy what the man took time to explain!!!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@derek7745, @milehigh_7, @Soldano666 :

As you could see in the video the trees are thriving. This how Ryan does it. Yes, I learned from him, all the tricks (props, harpoon, bamboo bridge, sphagnum moss wall, not removing the moss in winter) are all things that are not taught generally or for example in the case of removing the moss in winter through everywhere and it is detrimental to the health of the plant. Now, for you this might seem very basic but there are plenty of people who don't know about it. Even professionals that I heard that criticized why use galvanized steel wire saying it is cheap not knowing that using it is cheaper and better than aluminium and copper. So it may be basic for you guys but there's definitely value for a lot of beginners. As for using Ryan's name, I don't think I need any permission and I know he saw some of the videos. Stay tuned because next week's video will be all about growth management on pines. You don't want to miss that one I bet you'll learn something from the mirai methodology, except Derek who only has maples. Keep watching, share and please subscribe.

D

Deleted member 21616

What about your comment needs to be said? Just enjoy what the man took time to explain!!!!!

welcome to the forum jonathan!

i think you misinterpreted the tone of my question, no worries though. I’m know Rafael in person, and i’m on his side, and truly appreciate his videos. See here, for example:

my question was sincere. I watched the video (as i did his air layering video - see link in my previous post in this thread) and genuinely could not detect the difference between an ordinary repot, and a repot using mirai’s methodology

i learned how to take cuttings from Mark Comstock and Yves Letourneau for example, but it doesn’t follow that i’m using the ‘comstock methodology’

another thing to consider is Rafael can understand where i am coming from and respond to my question, even if i am ‘questioning’ his decision. after all, Rafael is the guy who told David Easterbrook on stage in room of 100 people that he was choosing the wrong front for his tree, following up with “but you’re the one who will be stuck looking at it every day”. So i don’t mind asking Rafael questions, since i’m comfortable knowing that he himself likes to pose challenging questions to others 😊

This is all for the sake of improvement, not disparagement @jonathanvperth 😉

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rafael,

just to say thank you.

2 Questions -

[1] Would like to see any efforts by ypu not worked on by Masters.

[2] What did the over grown mame' in the video end up as ?
What was it as well?
Thanks in advance [ when you have the time ]
Good Day
Anthony

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As for using Ryan's name, I don't think I need any permission and I know he saw some of the videos.
I disagree.
You are promoting yourself by attaching your views to the name of someone known. I would call this brand-abuse. I am not him, but I would have a big problem if someone started promoting themselves using my name as advertisement. On top of that, he is making a living out of his videos and live braodcasting as well as his workshops. I doubt he would be happy by having someone bringing his business competition using his own name.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got exhausted watching you repot that big tree. All that chopsticking and root combing on that....

I have had very large deciduous trees for years. I learned a long time ago that the first step in repotting them is to just saw off the bottom third of the root mass first. That Eliminates the worst of the roots and frees the rest up for sorting and selective pruning.

I know Ryan works mostly with old conifers. He takes a cautious approach with those which is great. The same technique on fast-growing, more responsive deciduous trees isn't all that necessary, in my experience.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The big name attached...I was not anticipating the footage in the video. Honestly...I closed out of it. I see you are a student of three big names. What sort of classes did you take with each? How long have you been doing the hobby.? Then naming those who influenced you. I couldn't list all who influenced me. Many who helped me are here at B-Nut would be among that list.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well,

Im reading the tread and the couple of others with Rafael names on it.
First - fair play for putting videos together etc
The problem i see is click bit you trying to get, as the other lads said, using someone else name to promote youself its not fair and nice.
Keep doing your videos but get ride of all their names, they will bring you hate only, nothing else. If you are good and can pass the knowledge, people will find you anyway. No need for fancy names.

And in fairness, not judging your knowledge - there is many people that knows more than you and they will muck you!

On top of that, i cant see Rafael posting anything else on the forum, not getting into discussion.
Please share your knowledge here as well, help and advice people, thats why we all are on B'Nuts!

Peace!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Apologies Brian,

I tried to post a like and a laugh, but couldn't do it.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey all, its all good! @derek7745 I keep the challenging questions coming. I had forgotten that exchange with David. :) In any case, whatever one does there will always be critics. I see the value of these videos and the number of views for sure back that up. I wish I had seen these videos when I was starting. I also strive to make them better all the time, both from the quality of the information provided as well as the quality of the production of the video - so they will always keep getting better. And who knows, maybe @derek7745 will learn a thing or two...

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
As for using Ryan's name, I don't think I need any permission and I know he saw some of the videos.
If you didn't get permission, this is likely trademark infringement. From the USPTO:

"To support a trademark infringement claim in court, a plaintiff must prove that it owns a valid mark, that it has priority (its rights in the mark(s) are "senior" to the defendant's), and that the defendant's mark is likely to cause confusion in the minds of consumers about the source or sponsorship of the goods or services offered under the parties' marks."

Just because Ryan Neil doesn't send you a cease and desist letter doesn't mean it's ok. You may be costing him sales if people don't subscribe to Mirai Live because they find free "Mirai" videos on YouTube.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you didn't get permission, this is likely trademark infringement. From the USPTO:

"To support a trademark infringement claim in court, a plaintiff must prove that it owns a valid mark, that it has priority (its rights in the mark(s) are "senior" to the defendant's), and that the defendant's mark is likely to cause confusion in the minds of consumers about the source or sponsorship of the goods or services offered under the parties' marks."

Just because Ryan Neil doesn't send you a cease and desist letter doesn't mean it's ok. You may be costing him sales if people don't subscribe to Mirai Live because they find free "Mirai" videos on YouTube.

Kind of a ridiculous claim. It's not even close to trademark infringment. He's not trying to pass himself off as mirai. There is no confusion. Anyone that reads the title can figure that out...

Top Bottom