To Prune, Or Not To Prune (pines when first collected)?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've read ALLOT of conflicting opinions on this topic, though usually in the context of transplanting straight into the ground, so I wanted to get more in the way a bonsai take from people smarter than me on the subject.

I've not had good luck at all collecting yamadori pinyons, but they are my favorite species of tree and I am determined to succeed. I've cleared out the most devastating part of my learning curve I believe, but I'm still not sure how to handle pruning. I generally haven't done more than cut out sick and dying branches, and I pinch off any new candles in the first spring in hopes of the tree pushing that energy to the roots if not back budding.

How do you handle yours?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Auxin is what stimulates/drives root growth.
Buds are the primary sources of auxin. The foliage that is photosynthetically productive is second (not to mention that the carbs produced are the materials and energy for growth).
In pines, there is also a nascent bud at the base of every fascicle.

So, I think this
I pinch off any new candles in the first spring in hopes of the tree pushing that energy to the roots if not back budding.
is not a good idea with a newly collected pine, or just about any newly collected tree.

Leave it be until it is growing vigorously, IMHO.

Also, waxy leaved species such as pines are very good at controlling moisture loss by simply closing their stomata, unlike other species such as maples that loose lots of moisture through their leaf surfaces because they lack a waxy coating.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn’t pinch off new growth.

new growth tips produce the hormone auxin. Auxin moves from the growing buds down to the roots. Auxin is the chemical signal that tells the roots the top is growing, so they better grow to support the new growth. It stimulates root growth

By removing the growing tips, you are removing the natural “root growth hormone” in the tree.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

I can read legalese half way decently, and even medical studies, but some of this plant biology stuff is Greek to me. You both just summed it up in the clearest way possible while making it easier to read the next batch of research I do. I've read some of this stuff before, I'm sure, but because I've also read plenty of other deep papers before, Google dropped me in a depth of horticulture that was still way over my head when I looked it up.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with the above. I would also experiment with season of collection. If spring is a low success rate, try autumn or winter. With autumn and winter collection, keep collected tree at or above freezing, but below 40 F for winter. You might even try late summer collection.

Definitely, do not remove new candles in spring. As stated previously.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would not cut or pinch anything at least for the first year. Also, I have better luck putting my yamadori conifers in very light morning sun only for 3 months after collecting and fertilize with a 0-10-10 fertilizer. Works for me!

Top Bottom