TORONTO BONSAI SOCIETY - 2018 FALL SHOW - TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA - OCTOBER 13/14 2018

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That branch on the larch looks like it's already too thick! Maybe they're using it to try to thicken the lower trunk and it will be removed/jinned at some point. I think the tree would look pretty good if the
length was reduced by 1/2, and possibly (probably?) better if it was removed completely. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with it being in the show. I'm not a believer in overly strong entrance
restrictions and would prefer to err on the side of letting people express themeselves through their trees. It was just something that caught my eye, others may well find it a good feature.

On second viewing that ginkgo caught my eye in a good way. I like the shape, it looks more "natural" than the narrow torch shapes often used. I've never really had the desire to add one to my collection
but something with a shape like that...I could see.

Some of those accent plantings are beautiful. Anyone know what plant is in the next to last image in post 7? The foliage looks a bit like hosta but the seed heads don't.

I actually think it is a miniature hosta, but I will confirm with the owner. Our meeting is in a couple of weeks, so I'll inquire.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im pretty sure a lot of our members are going to buy up all the porcelain berries around here because of that one! and hats off to the owner for that, not many people will give up pesticides easily

Not if I buy them all first.. lol :)

We found a secret stash last summer. I think there were like 5 left that were about 5x the size of that one.. For dirt cheap too!

Happy hunting!!

:)

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 222881
is this a trident maple?
the root spread is spectacular...
Thanks for the photos.
Which tree are you referring to? The picture you quoted didn't show up.

If it's the large one in post #5, then yes it is a trident and it was newly acquired from a nursery in Quebec. Definitely a beautiful tree!! Thankfully we had it in our show because it was one of the only trees that was changing colour due to the crappy fall we had this year leading up to the show.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
*public service announcement*

I think I may have posted a few trees twice. Apologies.

They must have taken the space of other trees I wanted to post.

I wasn't trying to "inflate/pad" the post..

Sorry for the repetition. Don't know how it happened. I won't be searching out the missing trees. You can find them on our club site.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I love all the collected Thuja on display.
Question, is this one a Juniper horizontalis originally styled by Nick Lenz?

web_tbs_fall2018-044-jpg.222824

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love all the collected Thuja on display.
Question, is this one a Juniper horizontalis originally styled by Nick Lenz?

web_tbs_fall2018-044-jpg.222824
Yes it is.
If I'm not mistaken they were originally staked by Lenz but as as single trunks. This composition was put together by the current owner. Many years ago. If I'm incorrect in its history, please feel free to correct me. It is also my understanding that it was suggested during the critique that it should be further refined to enhance its illusion of age.
It was also at the Nationals in 2016.
It's definitly one of my top three trees that belong to one of our club members. It breaks rules and is mighty impressive in person.

Top Bottom