Toyo Nishiki Survivor

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This clump has had different waves of blooms. First two blossoms bloomed one at a time, but the next ones will be in clusters. Hopefully closer in timing. Sort of like fireworks at a show. Start out small and end with a grand finale. Hmmm. I think I'm starting to sound like @bonhe .

I've started a couple thread grafts on one of the branches to become a branch and one to become a leader. I think now is a good time plan thread grafts while I don't have a bunch of leaves.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Didn't have time to take any pictures when blossoms bloomed sometimes but whatever I did last year made the flowers bloom at different moments. Didn't have a great show this year. No problem. I'll wait for next year. Go easy this year.

20170321_190022-1.jpg
20170321_185951-1.jpg
20170321_190010-1.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I thinned out some branches to allow light inside and strengthen the small secondary branches and the weak thread grafts. Cut back some strong branches. Unwired and rewired. Oh, I severed a few suckers too.
2017-05-11 22.18.59.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I didn't note on here that I put in some grafts, maybe late November. I mentioned doing it in the "shoutout box." I got some scion from other Toyonishiki. More than half of the grafts sprouted leaves, there was a straggler. After the trip back from Japan, I notice another scion showing some movement. No leaf, but buds swollen. Anyhow, I moved the whole thing outside from a warm green house yesterday. I'd better repot in the spring.

Top Bottom