Toyo Nishiki Survivor

the1only

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice! Quick question, it has been in the colander for 4 years? I am planning to repot mine in the colander next week.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice! Quick question, it has been in the colander for 4 years? I am planning to repot mine in the colander next week.
It's spent most of the time in training in a colander. I have some others in pots. Colander might not be necessary for a quince. You have to be sure to water enough or else you could lose it. I water frequently in the summer as much as 3 times daily while in full sun.

I'll post another and maybe more flowering quinces as I have time. You'll see one with colander that I placed on a pot filled with soil. I just had no time to water adequately and to repot it. Didn't want to lose it while busy with other things and vacation.

Thanks again, everyone. I love this quince. It's one of my favorites in my collection.
No one's guessed yet where my thread graft is so I went ahead and marked it with a red circle. The red lines show the donor that shares the pot with the tree. The red arrow is something else; an error while I was grafting some scion. My hand slipped, and I shaved off that portion of bark. I'm starting to just use Elmer's wood glue. I like it. If you look carefully, you can see a ring which is tissue already growing from the fall to close up the wound. It's stopped now, of course. Should be completely sealed with some time. If you look carefully, you can see some of the detached scion grafts. Leaves still there and black electrical tape binding them to the host branches. Some leaves at the base are from suckers that I didn't completely remove. The quince could use some more wiring, but I don't want to accidentally knock off my grafts.

toyo.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I try to check on my trees daily. My Quince now I'm looking for flower buds, but also the tree over all. As my branches thicken and grow I've been waiting for the right time to prune them back hard. Twenty 18 is the time. After a hopefully nice show of blossoms, I'll repot and prune the heavy branches back. I'll aim to cut back to grafted branches, but further if needed. Pruning back to balance the tree and for taper.

Some of my grafts appear to have flower buds swelling! I did try to use older wood, but the scion shape was more important. I used more lateral branches for scion instead of straight shoots.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love this tree, what a transformation you have achieved! :)
Thank you. I hope I have the ability to to continue moving it forward. I'll be cutting some branches hard this year to regrow sections and prevent overthickening. I still have much to learn to have consistent results.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some shots of flower buds. Some on grafts. Makes me want to graft for flowering in the future. Grafting gives me some freedom. I can focus on development of shape without worry of not having flowers, because I could just graft branches that give me flowe the fall for blooming in spring.

Ive been considering grafting some Utamaro into this. Might the flower petals be too different? Anyone think it might be a bad idea? @bonhe @fredtruck @Stan Kengai @Don Blackmond @Brent anybody?
IMG_20180203_061802_084.jpg
IMG_20180203_061802_094.jpg
IMG_20180203_061802_087.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the mix of japonica quince (for the red) and speciosa quince (for the pink and white) might be jarring because the red would be so different. But, it's a bold idea and might work in other situations.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive been considering grafting some Utamaro into this. Might the flower petals be too different? Anyone think it might be a bad idea?
If they have different shapes in petals, I would not graft.
Bonhe

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll observe them more and see how it might look. Maybe place a few blossoms on the tree if I can. I'll try to to take pictures.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
When grafting different varieties together, you need to match both flower shape & size, but also the leaves. It would look strange if one branch had significantly different shape or size leaves than another.
Thanks, Leo. You're right about the flowers. The leaves, not too important I think. Often these are displayed leafless without flowers or leafless with flowers. I've not seen these displayed in full leaf, and I'd not do so with my own toyo nishiki. However, I will take note of their leaf shape.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's outside now to catch whatever sunlight we get. I want to get the pink to be stronger. It's also warmer.

Top Bottom