Transplanting pond cypress seedling to the wild

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have dozen or so pond cypress seedlings I started from seed this summer. I would rather not see them through the winter by planting them back into the swamp. Not sure if fall planting is the way to go or should I just wait until spring. Not sure if I should plant them actually IN water, or along the edge on a bit higher ground.

unnamed (26).jpg

I have dozen or so pond cypress seedlings I started from seed this summer. I would rather not see them through the winter by planting them back into the swamp. Not sure if fall planting is the way to go or should I just wait until spring. Not sure if I should plant them actually IN water, or along the edge on a bit higher ground.

View attachment 453392
I would plant them on a bit higher ground.

I would plant them on a bit higher ground.
My thoughts too. From experience, bald cypress CAN live in water, but thrive with their bases just above water level. I know the horticulture industry promotes fall planting as a viable time to plant, so I may do that.

My thoughts too. From experience, bald cypress CAN live in water, but thrive with their bases just above water level. I know the horticulture industry promotes fall planting as a viable time to plant, so I may do that.
In Vietnam all the water loving trees are planted in 8 ft wide rows with irrigation ditches in between.

So, what's the general consensus? Fall transplanting or wait until spring?

I would love to weigh in. But I know that in my climate, zone 5, bald cypress behave quite differently than in their "home climate", zone 9, zone 8 and zone 7. I'm guessing that your ground does not freeze in winter. That being the case, autumn transplanting would be pretty safe.

No ground freezing here. I know landscapers will sometimes plant in fall. I may just do half and half.

I'll plant them on the swamp edge where I can check on them from time to time. In 5 years, I should have some really nice specimens.

Back
Top Bottom