HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My best guesses are:
-Texas Persimmon
-some sort of Camellia
But the bark doesn't appear to be correct for either...
I keep running into similar, “It might be “x”.. but “y” doesn’t match!”-type Conundrums.

🤔

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The new photos do show slight crenations of the leaf margins, this is the "most reduced" variation on teeth margin, so I will update the list of KEY TRAITS

Key Traits =
opposite leaves
very slight toothed margins - crenated, almost absent in some leaves.
bark with lenticels

Flowering quince and Chinese quince - not possible, because the quince has alternate leaves, the plant in question has opposite leaves.

Camellia - not possible, Camellia has alternate leaves.

Euonymus - is still a possibility as they have opposite leaves and some have very reduced teeth on their margins.

Punica - pomegranate - Do have opposite leaves. The "look" is wrong in my opinion, but mature summer leaves might provide a better clue.

Texas Persimmon - has alternate leaves, the tree in question has opposite leaves. So not possible.

I was thinking about opposite leaf landscape shrubs, maybe something in the Rubiaceae, the family that includes Cinchona (the anti-malaria drug source), Gardenia, Ixora, Nauclea, Psychotria (the DMT donor for Yage), Randina, & Serissa, - but honestly, I am pretty certain it is not of the genera I listed. There are a couple native to Texas Rubiaceae that I am not familiar with, it could be one of them. Or it is not in the Rubiaceae family. Just fishing for ideas.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s one the “better” (more potent) concentration ratios present in plant tissue.. if I recall correctly.

Back in the Chemistry days, It was difficult for me to justify importing “more potent mass”... when that low/mid-range Phragmites is EVERYWHERE... just dig out an entire “bedside” of rhizomes...

😬..eh... a different time.

aaaaanyways...

Hinmo said Rhody... and the leaves DO share a lot of those characteristics, I think.. but as always with this specimen.. “x” matches.. but “y” is unclear.

🤣

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got a text from the builder, he said he talked to the landscapers and they said that it was a Japanese Blueberry. I did a search here and it look similar to the one on this thread. I haven't seen it full with leaves, as it has been bare since the day we moved in thanks to the deer. I guess I will know for sure once the leaves mature.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Install the "picture this " app on your phone and it'll tell you instantly what it is.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know how I hate to be picky, but the color in the OP is not bronze, and not close to the color that is called bronze in hort.
The curse of common names! I think this is the tree you have: https://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/striving-for-diversity-japanese-blueberry-tree/ Elaeocarpus decipiens is unrelated to the plants commonly called blueberries in North America. The species is said to grow well in the Pacific Northwest and parts of California. Good luck in Texas!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Install the "picture this " app on your phone and it'll tell you instantly what it is.
I did... I haven't used it with the new pics, but the results it gave me the closest look a like was red photina.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah... nothing close to what the tree is. I browsed through the "example" pictures and none of the hits is a match to what I have.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yeah... nothing close to what the tree is. I browsed through the "example" pictures and none of the hits is a match to what I have.
Hehe! I normally stay away from those apps... they’ve caused confusion roughly 1/5 of the time.. i use it sometimes in the wild.. as a “first run” for species I am unfamiliar with...

Field guides are the best.

Top Bottom