Tree Dead in Trident Forest

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello to all. I have a Trident Forest i put together last year, and one half of my #2 tree is dead. There is one branch growing in the back of the tree, but all the ones on the front and sides died this year. They started out good, but toward the middle of summer the branches started to die. Its the large tree on the right side of the forest. Should i take it out, move #3 over, and just get another smaller tree, or see if it makes it, and do some shari or carving? Any input would be great. Im going to take off the tops this year and start new branching now the roots are established if i keep it as is. Thanks alot.

The first picture is in june of this year, and the second is from february when it was being put together. The trees were leaned more toward the outside in the final setup.

Attachments

• DSCN2753.jpg
    DSCN2753.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN2105.jpg
    DSCN2105.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Do you have any idea what it died of? If, as is quite possible, it was a fungal disease, it should be removed and destroyed, and the entire planting should be lifted, their roots thoroughly washed, and 100% fresh soil added -- after you have sterilized the pot with alcohol or bleach.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The guy i bought them from looked at it and said he thought it was just a weak tree to start with. He practically gave the trees to me to put the forest together, so i cant really ask for another. There were no signs of stress or any diseases. No pest problems, so im not sure exactly what it was. About 1 branch per week started to die, the leaves turned brownish and dried out. There is still two branches that are alive, but are on the back side.

Should i go ahead and take it out now, or wait until before spring? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Does anyone think i should take the bad tree out now, or wait until spring? I dont want to do any damage to the others. Thanks in advance.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Personally, I would just leave it alone till spring, it was most likely caused by repotting/root trimming. There is also a chance that it is only "mostly dead" in which case you could chop back to the live part of the trunk, and still have your tree. If you do notice something fungal that may infect the others, it should be taken care of. If not, just wait it out. I have discarded trees I thought were dead, only to see them back budding the next spring...

Top Bottom