Trident Maple seeds

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So are you guys saying that its okay without stratification?
Just need to put the seeds on water overnight or two days then put it directly to seed starter soil?
I plant the seeds dry directly in the soil and water.

What do you think stratification does? It reduces dormancy, as the seed experiences a period of winter. If you are in a temperate climate, winter occurs naturally :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Also, you live in the central valley of California, so I don't think outdoor stratification is an option for you.
I don't know the Ca. climate well enough but natural stratification relies on overnight winter temps dropping below freezing at least a few times over winter. The more often temps go below freezing the better.

As mentioned above I have tried a few late sowings to test whether stratification is really needed. I still get good germination even when the seed gets no below freezing temps but I have the luxury of fresh seed. Stored seed may not germinate as well so I'd be really interested to hear the results if you do a side by side comparison, especially if your winter temps don't drop below that freezing line.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I planted some trident seeds about a week in a half ago. They somehow froze in the drawer which I don’t think should hurt them. I planted them in perlite and vermiculite. Under heat mats and domes with T-5 light bulbs (2). I’ve had 2 sprout so far but it looks like the perlite is turning green. Wondering what I did wrong and/or I just need some patience. They were cold stratified for about 90 days.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planted some trident seeds about a week in a half ago. They somehow froze in the drawer which I don’t think should hurt them. I planted them in perlite and vermiculite. Under heat mats and domes with T-5 light bulbs (2). I’ve had 2 sprout so far but it looks like the perlite is turning green. Wondering what I did wrong and/or I just need some patience. They were cold stratified for about 90 days.

Patience, more will likely be sprouting :cool:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Perlite turning green is likely just some algae growing on the surface. It should not hurt the seeds or seedlings.
Freezing does not hurt seeds in storage or in stratification.
What is it with everyone wanting to start seeds on heat mats and grow lights? They germinate just fine without all that hardware and indoor conditions are often a magnet for fungal problems.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are able to get maple seeds straight from the tree or are still soft and green they can be sown right then and will grow. I
Quite old this post……. But I’ll give it a try I’m going to grab a handful of these trident maples and soak them in kelp overnight and maybe the gibberellins in the kelp will get them Poppin instantly……. Normally would probably be a Harvest about a month from now the samaras are just starting to get a red tinge and then I imagine a 1 to 2 month stratification would get them popping but we’ll see one way to find out the tree is not going nowhere and it’s loaded with seed.
I picked the one that is growing in the most sunshine to full sun and quite a very hot area of zone 7A in southeastern Pennsylvania.

Experience has taught me if you start these in a grow tent it has to be extremely low light like cutting strength and then after they got strong roots then you can ramp up the light strength……. After all they are looking at an 18 hour light cycle!!!image.jpg2356603C-42A2-4FB4-B0E7-E9228B6C941D.jpeg7C580960-31D2-4700-AFCE-135A189EFB82.jpeg

Top Bottom