Trident progression

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. I am however a little concerned. See how the branches have developed? They are almost as thick as the trunk. There is something to be said for getting a tree a bit larger, and reduce that problem.

Over time, work on reducing the vertical roots to stimulate more roots in the visible nebari

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I'd cut it back to the first branch... but WILL YOU?!?

In all seriousness, a nice feminine tree with good movement and taper. It needs more growing on and maturing... looking forward to seeing it in another 15 years or so.

Dav, you’re going to have to sell that move a little harder! I’m NOT opposed to it if I know what the direction is.

The last two growing seasons I have cut back hard on the upper branches while leaving the lowest two to grow out. They were severely undersized and have made more progress that I thought could be done so I know thats working. I plan on continuing that process until they catch up.

Next repot i want to place the tree on a board but the vertical roots are going to need some heavy cutback that I’m not real sure how far I can go.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Sacrifice branches really do work well and surprisingly fast. By the end of this second season of using a sacrifice branch the lowest branch will actually be the largest branch after being one of the smallest 2 yrs ago.
CF0C63B6-05A8-4E52-A0AB-1ECC0196FDA4.jpeg

E015B638-30BA-4C84-8C3C-092C7E1225AA.jpeg

Now if I can figure out where the next chop is.
BBE58796-A98F-4ADA-99A7-1821B18822E0.jpeg

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I don’t know. I’ve had it since May ‘17 and I suspect it’s always been in a pot.

Just whacked that lowest branch at the closest internodes and now trying to figure out where to make my next trunk-chop. I’m thinking the red line but really have no idea.
6BBEDE09-15DC-4F4D-A649-678413382B23.jpeg

or this

5D849A1F-15A6-4BCB-B5F0-AA0DD834CC27.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i think one has to decide whether he wants a feminine tree with nice movement and subtle taper. or sacrifice a little trunk movement for better taper in the long term. one could come to this decision by studying what folk have done with similar material. personally like this as a taller tree, but i would cut the branches back quite hard and maybe take out one or two thicker bits in the upper part of the tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cut back to the first branch is the only thing that will remove every fault.

But I'm not exactly a fan of that start.

Graft lower.

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would cut all the branches off next summer expect for leader. The branches are way to thick in relation to the trunk.

Let the trunk sprout and start developing new branches is my opinion, or chop again lower and start over.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have some really nice trees ... Killer little JBP, wonderful little trident, and doing great work on your large arakawa maple. The subject tree of this thread is going to be difficult to develop well, as alluded to by a couple of the posts above. The nebari is a little dicey, the lowest branches are heavy. So I think it will take a lot of work. May need to air layer for better nebari, get some new grafts down lower on trunk to be future primary branches, remove heavy branches and build a new top/leader? Looking at the tree from the pictures you posted, it looks like a total rebuild? No offense intended, you are doing great work. Curious to see what you make of this one!

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Absolutely no offense taken. I’ve been asked several times, even by a pro or two, why bother? Well it’s my very first bonsai tree and for thick or thin it will stay with me to the end.

Time for a reboot, trident 4.0!

We’ll airlayer late this winter then figure out where to chop in a few years.

840BF83F-5657-4D16-B601-5E622BB39287.jpeg

Top Bottom