Trident progression

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I haven't had great luck with trident layers, but have found root grafts are super easy, and would absolutely improve that nebari in short order. If you decide to layer, let's see it play out here, and good luck.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Fwiw, I haven't had great luck with trident layers, but have found root grafts are super easy, and would absolutely improve that nebari in short order. If you decide to layer, let's see it play out here, and good luck.

So you’re on board for root-grafting also? One of the reasons I haven’t done root grafts already is getting suitable root-stock. I’ve had a very hard time with rooting cuttings and the only ones I have I believe are too thick. Here’s an example, tell me if you think these are too thick???

132E31BF-E2C0-4F3D-8FAF-6F039CFD09C1.jpeg

i thought the ground layer would be a little drastic, considering there is a decent flare at the base.

You think heavy root-work and root-grafting would be faster and outcome just as good as a ground-layer?

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not even bother with grafting. Just make sure you keep the nebari covered for a few years, and do proper rootwork. Should work fine.

Added reason: I REALLY like the bark and smooth trunk.
Work with the good things of the tree, while hiding or eliminating the bad.

Same with adding branches, trimming branches: Make a good plan. Try to not do anything that may scar that flawless front.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So you’re on board for root-grafting also? One of the reasons I haven’t done root grafts already is getting suitable root-stock. I’ve had a very hard time with rooting cuttings and the only ones I have I believe are too thick. Here’s an example, tell me if you think these are too thick???

View attachment 331057

You think heavy root-work and root-grafting would be faster and outcome just as good as a ground-layer?
Yeah, that looks too thick. So, is this a particular cultivar with specific bark characteristics? If so, you'll have to continue to try to produce cuttings. Otherwise, I'd just use generic seedlings. Despite what others are saying, I think root grafting... placing roots right where you want them... is absolutely worth the effort if you truly want to move this tree forward. I'd plan on ordering some bare root seedlings from Matt Ouwinga and plan on grafting next year at re-pot time, assuming that's what you choose to do.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The trunk is pretty nice, and since it’s slender and scar-free, I would be inclined to keep it taller...
EBB563F7-F3EB-4992-B9F6-45B65C567CE1.jpeg

Top Bottom