Trident Sapplings or Japanese Maple Sapplings?

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Hope this is ok to ask. I was wondering if anyone has some saplings they are looking to get rid of. I know a few people always have parent trees and too many saplings that they get rid of some of them. If anyone is in that position, can you keep me in mind please. Would really like a chance at growing some in my back yard. Im located in Pennsylvania. Thank you in advance.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome! How did you join on March 20th? My calender says it's March 19th.

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
LOL not sure! I have been lurking awhile so may be this is from last year?

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Look up kaedebonsai. He has some quality seedlings for as little as $8. I've heard if you buy in bulk he tends to throw in extra for free. Just bought a miyasama trident maple cutting the other day and can't wait until it arrives.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Look up kaedebonsai. He has some quality seedlings for as little as $8. I've heard if you buy in bulk he tends to throw in extra for free. Just bought a miyasama trident maple cutting the other day and can't wait until it arrives.

I have a miyasama from him and it’s doing well in its first spring (for me):

A9E57B48-4B53-488E-93FA-2727BE8E15F7.jpeg

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Beautiful little tree. And very exciting. Mine should arrive in a day or so. Good to see it's doing well in your climate.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing yours. All of mine are doing great in orchid seedling bark.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I actually just received mine today. Potted into an 8” pot just a couple of hours ago. Funny how we are all into Miyasama

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I actually just received mine today. Potted into an 8” pot just a couple of hours ago. Funny how we are all into Miyasama

Those leaves are the best. Mine has some long internodes that I’ll need to figure out. Was yours already leafed out?

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Those leaves are the best. Mine has some long internodes that I’ll need to figure out. Was yours already leafed out?
Yeah. Although the leaves are very light green. Maybe it’s just too early in the year. I am in Georgia and Matt is in Maryland so there is some temp difference.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Someone linked his website as a reputable sapling source. After looking I wondered why the miyasama was more expensive than everything else. I've been eyeing tridents for awhile and after doing a little research I decided to pull the trigger.

Will probably let mine establish for a week or so but I plan to put it in a milk crate with a more proper bonsai mix. I'm thinking 2 parts DE, 2 parts lava, 1 part pine bark. Im wanting to thicken it up as quickly as possible without putting it in the ground. Maybe we can compare our specimens as they progress.

Last edited:

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Someone linked his website as a reputable sapling source. After looking I wondered why the miyasama was more expensive than everything else. I've been eyeing tridents for awhile and after doing a little research I decided to pull the trigger.

Will probably let mine establish for a week or so but I plan to put it in a milk crate with a more proper bonsai mix. I'm thinking 2 parts DE, 2 parts lava, 1 part pine bark. Im wanting to thicken it up as quickly as possible without putting it in the ground. Maybe we can compare our specimens as they progress.
It’s hard to propagate and the growth rate is slow. Also the leaves are thick and glossy and look very different from regular tridents.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s hard to propagate and the growth rate is slow. Also the leaves are thick and glossy and look very different from regular tridents.
Weird I thought I heard it grew quickly. Well it is a dwarf after all.

I’ve had great luck with 100% orchid bark seedling mix. I’m in Southern CA.
I'm pretty dead set on using DE as an akadama substitute. I just worry it's not the best for maples. I looked into using orchid bark as my organic component but I read pine bark is more ideal than fir bark so I ordered some slightly overpriced pine bark fines instead.

Last edited:

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anyway mine came in today. It was potted in turface which is probably smart for water retention. Leaves are also bright green but might just be new growth. Repotted it into a temporary pot of 2 parts DE, 1 part lava with a top layer of sphagnum.

Gonna let it sit outside in the shade. Hopefully it survives.

Attachments

• 20200409_153914.jpg
    20200409_153914.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200409_153927.jpg
    20200409_153927.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200409_165143.jpg
    20200409_165143.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 30

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Here is mine. I went with lava rock, pine bark and turface mix. It’s in a 8” pot now.482B34AA-3A75-4F41-8F2D-195DDF069756.jpeg

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Receiving my third and fourth from Matt in the morning. I will be at work when they arrive. Kinda sucks my wife gets to see them first....

Nuegeeh

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone, Hope this is ok to ask. I was wondering if anyone has some saplings they are looking to get rid of. I know a few people always have parent trees and too many saplings that they get rid of some of them. If anyone is in that position, can you keep me in mind please. Would really like a chance at growing some in my back yard. Im located in Pennsylvania. Thank you in advance.
hey, i happened to drive near costco today and saw bunch of trident maples blooming. I saw bunch of saplings and asked if i can take it, the worker said no one cares about the plants outside because they will get mowed anyways. drive around look around, you may find some.

Attachments

• 20200416_124153.jpg
    20200416_124153.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom