Tropical work schedule for northern folks?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I generally understand when to do what for hardy plants that go dormant through the winter, but when do yall do what for tropicals? Usually the night temperature stays above 50 around late May-early June. Then I've heard to repot around the summer solstice after they've adjusted to outdoors. I can probably prune one more time in August after a flush of growth, then I usually have to bring the plants in in September. I do have strong grow lights for indoors.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I do any repotting, big pruning in summer when they are growing vigorously. I got a few extra weeks this year and didn't bring mine in until Oct. 30th.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Noting I have a habit of registering "tropicals" as ficus cuz that's all I have.....

I went back to look for repotting dates, had a March, a December, a Couple January's and a February.

Never any troubles. Never any summers.

If anything I think repotting them in winter keeps them from being so healthy, they get too apically strong.
Lights have like a million times the differential between top and bottom leaves as sun, so keeping them from growing much under lights is aesthetically better.

Brings me back to what you're keeping, since things are kept different, some can be allowed a "dormancy" over winter, some folks have lights longer and better than outside may provide.

These things are important to note as you gather advice on the specific pattern you end up following with things.

Summer for tropicals for me is grow time, so I don't like interrupting that time with repots.

And even though they "grow all year", I don't like pruning much off during summer either. Except for when that heavy prune will produce needed backbudding.

Besides that I rely, though upon going back I realize it's not always, on Bring in Pruning, BIP, and Bring out Pruning, BOP. Usually full defoliation as well.

The benefit of "hitting the reset button" at these times, is BIP makes it easier to not bring mites in over winter, as that's a design killer.

And BOP removes the time it takes for indoor leaves to either acclimate(half sun) or die. Which saves at least a week of good food production in my estimates.

So beginning with these 2 pruning times on a regular design schedule is a very safe idea.

Usually winter allows for a pruning, which is more, a thinning of the Apex because of the lights.
Summer can allow for a couple more as well. Though I find it better to let them grow, as the 2% design better isn't worth having over the 80% better health.

That's the kinda pattern that could get befuddled. Pruning all summer may not allow enough health for winter repots.

Sorce

Top Bottom