True masterpiece??

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I'll sit a pot next to one and see what happens.

You gotta steal Boon's Magic Wand!

Man....

Unfortunately, one (go Cleveland) could probably sell those!

I'm gonna find the Dude in the White Van who keeps stealing all my ideas!;)

Sorce

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some trees from 40 years ago which for me come very close to being masterpieces of bonsai ''art''(as opposed to crafted replicas) and have naturalness as the overwhelming part of the image.

P1090936.JPG

P1090941.JPG

P1090945.JPG

P1090948.JPG

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The differences can be so extremely subtle. For example, these trees don't exactly give me the same feeling.

P1090938.JPG

P1090947.JPG

P1090937.JPG
Age may have something to do with it (but I don't think so) and perhaps it's just by sheer luck some trees turn out special without so much intention?
Can anyone see the difference or am I just insane?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
The former images definitely have a more raw, natural appearance to them. Something you'd more easily be able to associate with its natural counterpart. The latter more refined with sharper branching and structure. I think these different designs are simply a matter of aesthetic and preference.

There's something to be appreciated in a cohesive image that while clearly the product of artificial work, strives to appear untouched and natural. I think that contradiction ties together both the appreciation for art and horticulture to the source of its inspiration. Conversely the more refined and arguably more popular form of bonsai appeals to human aesthetics. To build things in given proportions that are easier and more pleasing to the eye. In the human body as well in many forms of art and architecture the "golden ratio" can be found repeatedly and often used as the baseline to build or change something. In doing so you don't necessarily build something contrived, but something different all together.

In short the former seeks to capture the natural aesthetic of nature while the latter aims to realize human aesthetic in nature. I believe both forms of bonsai have its merit and what you prefer largely depends on your preference and personality. I think people shouldn't care so much about what others think looks good. One of the reasons why I enjoy bonsai is that because the development process takes so much time, you are able to realize your preferences. Developing trees are a gratifying experience that can reflect as much as the artist's character as the tree's.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
"bleumeon,
In short the former seeks to capture the natural aesthetic of nature while the latter aims to realize human aesthetic in nature

Hmmm. I tend to think the aim was and almost always is the same in all the trees. One successful, the other less so.

I think people shouldn't care so much about what others think looks good. One of the reasons why I enjoy bonsai is that because the development process takes so much time, you are able to realize your preferences. Developing trees are a gratifying experience that can reflect as much as the artist's character as the tree's.

Agreed, and I will continue to do as I see fit, I did bonsai for 15 years before anyone even saw them, but it's sometimes interesting to find people with the same sensibilities.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fantastic specimens!! I'm a newbie, but I'll bet someone, somewhere could pick those beautiful trees apart for their "flaws". Showing how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know people that would mow down trees like those with a Bush Hog while cleaning up the back 40. Sobering thought, eh?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the Black and White.
Shows the Design much better than colour.
Patterns, negative positive space..............
More like a how you see a painting.

The secret geometry in Bonsai. [K]
Thanks.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom