trunk splitting - lets give it a go...

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Been watching plenty Indonesian kinmen videos lately .... Those 3rd world boys have inspired me 🙂...
I don't understand one word they say but their results speak louder than all else.
I am starting with a fig branch cutting, commiphora (corkwood) stem cutting and a baobab...
This process is quite brutal and the trunk seems to rip a little more than is comfortable, which is why i didn't butcher the baobab roots.
I did the baobab trunk cutting at the top of the tree, trying to get the top section thicker...
Time will tell. Here are the surgery candidates before the process.20230625_131410.jpg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting. I’ve seen trunk splitting before (and even tried it once), but I’ve only ever seen the split done up in the canopy, never down at the base.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Interesting. I’ve seen trunk splitting before (and even tried it once), but I’ve only ever seen the split done up in the canopy, never down at the base.
I used to see it all the time in SE Asia. It was common to see people digging up the tree and using a bush knife and a hammer to split the bottom first to 4 and then plant it down. Next year they dig it up and split the bottom to 8.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Reduction trunk split for better taper?
I am thinking about drilling out the top of a tree, then cut out inverse triangles slices from the top. Then I will squeeze the remaining parts back together to form a good taper. Doable with BCs? I tried to reduce an inverse taper using trunk split with Rainbow eucalyptus and failed miserably.

Last edited:

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reduction trunk split for better taper?
I am thinking about drilling out the top of a tree, then cut out inverse triangles slices from the top. Then I will squeeze the remaining parts back together to form a good taper. Doable?
Do it! I guess we'll never know unless somebody tries.
Too bad we have to wait till next spring...

Top Bottom