Twin-trunk arakawa maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So this year, in keeping with my tagline, I decided that I need to invest in some better material to challenge myself to grow. Admittedly, the stuff I am getting is still on the low end of the market, and there are much better trees out there, but it's a start.

This arakawa maple was propagated from a large imported arakawa by Howard and Sylvia Smith. It is a twin-trunk style, still early in development. But the barking around the base is what caught my eye.

The only work I have done so far on this tree was applying the guy wire. The two trunks were way too close, practically touching. Over this season I will keep cranking on that until I have some nice separation.

Your input and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

0530210929a_HDR.jpg

0530210930_HDR.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this year, in keeping with my tagline, I decided that I need to invest in some better material to challenge myself to grow. Admittedly, the stuff I am getting is still on the low end of the market, and there are much better trees out there, but it's a start.

This arakawa maple was propagated from a large imported arakawa by Howard and Sylvia Smith. It is a twin-trunk style, still early in development. But the barking around the base is what caught my eye.

The only work I have done so far on this tree was applying the guy wire. The two trunks were way too close, practically touching. Over this season I will keep cranking on that until I have some nice separation.

Your input and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

View attachment 377925

View attachment 377926
I really like @Brian Van Fleet idea. You could get a second tree out of it also.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, @leatherback and @penumbra! I think bonsai is a little like life on the whole. The first loss of a key branch or tree is something you can't stop thinking about, for a long time. Then you get a ways in, and you find its easier to move on. I wonder what this tree will have for me next?

Top Bottom