Type of Maple?

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello. I dug this out of my yard last year. I was just looking to learn on something not so great, but as it started showing itself in the ground, i thought it looked pretty cool. Anyway, im pretty sure its a maple, but not sure as to the exact type. Any help would be appreciated. Do these do well with leaf pruning to reduce the size of the leaves?

Attachments

• DSCN2569.jpg
    DSCN2569.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN2573.jpg
    DSCN2573.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It looks like a sugar maple to me.. Acer Saccharum.. From what I have been told they do not reduce at ALL..

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
That was my first thought, but the tips of the leaves seem longer than any photo of a sugar maple.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It might be a Sycamore Maple on second look.. Acer Pseudoplatanus..

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think it is the red maple, Acer rubrum. You don't live in prime sugar maple territory. The leaf shape, smooth gray bark, and the reddish petioles seem to indicate A. rubrum.

They make OK bonsai. Leaves will reduce, but it is better to start with smaller-leafed varieties

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nope, not sycamore.. You might have it in the chalk maple which is closely related to the sugar maple..

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah, ive got several tridents, hornbeams, azaleas, and others. I was just starting hunting yamadori, and this one i could dig out with help of waterhose to really see what was going on under there. I spent 4 days cleaning away all the dirt, but leaving all the roots. Kind of a project. Its doing great, and will make a pretty cool tree i think. Ive started clipping branches after growing past two nodes for ramification. When is the best time to defoliate, or start leaf pruning?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a silver maple to me, especially if it was dug out of your yard. Silver maple is a pretty common landscape tree in the Mid-Atlantic.

They make pretty mediocre bonsai--yours might have root issues that will take some time to work out. The primary roots on your tree appear to point straight down-you will have to work to make them produce laterals expanding out from the trunk, instead of plunging into the ground.

Alexpompano

Seedling
Reaction score
I think it is the red maple, Acer rubrum. You don't live in prime sugar maple territory. The leaf shape, smooth gray bark, and the reddish petioles seem to indicate A. rubrum.

They make OK bonsai. Leaves will reduce, but it is better to start with smaller-leafed varieties
I got mine to reduce alot and it's still in development although it is a subspecies 20210820_180141.jpg

Attachments

• 20210820_180141.jpg
    20210820_180141.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 44

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Then this ought to be a pretty nice tree by now, no?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Acer rubrum (red maple)
But we have soooo many people insisting that Red Maple from their backyards have nice leaves and want to try them even though we also have soooo many others telling them that the petioles don't reduce enough to make it work, I figured here's an example to show that 10 years won't do it either. The absence of a response, anywhere, is meaningful. Or not.

In fact I have a couple and I will know, for sure one way or the other because reducing leaf size is my forte.

Top Bottom