Ugly JBP project

Gbhphoto77

Sapling
Reaction score
Thays my point. There are so many variables that it will be difficult to know what works and what doesn't. Im not saying that to mock. I have done the very thing you did. However i ran into the same issue. The tree lived but it was very weak for many years. At the end i had no idea what was a good technique or bad as they were all mashed together. Now i continue doing testing on the tree one insult per season. I heave learned much more of what works vs what doesn't.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thays my point. There are so many variables that it will be difficult to know what works and what doesn't. Im not saying that to mock. I have done the very thing you did. However i ran into the same issue. The tree lived but it was very weak for many years. At the end i had no idea what was a good technique or bad as they were all mashed together. Now i continue doing testing on the tree one insult per season. I heave learned much more of what works vs what doesn't.
I've done this too. I think it might be a right of passage.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score

I get your point completely.

For this initiative stage of training I wanted to go hard because the material was incredibly boring to me.

I wasn't necessarily trying to learn good vs bad technique. My main focus was seeing how far I can push this in one season. As mentioned in a previous post I have a few big pines that I have been growing for years and I want to know what they can take before I properly work on them. So I don't kill my good material.

I have taken this same approach since the beginning of my bonsai journey. It makes it fun for me. For e.g have 3 trees of the same species. Apply proper training and caution to two. The remaining tree is used for experiments extreme design ideas.

So far I have killed very few tree's

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I have finally decided on a design for this tree.

If it survives long enough. The aim is to make it look something like this. "If It survives" being the key here.

I have changed the direction of the branching and further split the trunk at the base to create a hollow/taper. I will now grow out the sacrifice trunk for a few years while maintaining the lower half....assuming it lives.
20220425_113220.jpg20220425_110728.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope it stays alive and you can make something cool out of it.
Sam Doecke "Aussie Bonsai Bloke" on YouTube threw an olive into a concrete mixer with a bunch of bricks, how's that for an extreme technique? I probably wouldn't recommend that for anything other than an olive though.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I hope it stays alive and you can make something cool out of it.
Sam Doecke "Aussie Bonsai Bloke" on YouTube threw an olive into a concrete mixer with a bunch of bricks, how's that for an extreme technique? I probably wouldn't recommend that for anything other than an olive though.

Cheers!

I do have a katana. Maybe I throw this pine in a cement mixer with that.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Spring update: Still alive. Still ugly as sin

Current plan remains in place grow as thick as possible. And widen the spilt trunk for taper in the future.

I have 2 designed options

The red lines are where I'll cut in the future for one of my design options

Last edited:

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well if you want to do your design in blue ink, that new leader needs to be thicken to Jin it in the future

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Well if you want to do your design in blue ink, that new leader needs to be thicken to Jin it in the future
Definitely.

I'm having a lot of fun with this tree, regardless of if I Jin the leader or not. I will need to grow that out.

Another rough sketch without the Jin

20221023_233229.jpg

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
In regards to the spit in the trunk. I haven't really seen any examples of how that will heal/look long term.

I was thinking I would carve and burn it to try and mimic a tree that survived a fire.

Top Bottom