Ugly trees.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Y’all aren’t even trying. You want ugly? I’ll give you ugly. My recently harvested yardadori air layer.
03C2484F-36CC-43E0-AE04-4EA6EC58D02B.jpeg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh. It doesn’t look very happy about it.
It might be having a bit of a temper tantrum because I cut through its trunk with a saw yesterday. However, I’ve saved it from a life of obscurity, so hopefully it will cheer up. It had previously been destined to grow forever in the shadow of the much larger evergreen tree that it sprouted beneath. Now it has a chance to experience the sunshine unfiltered.

stevek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh I got UGLY! So ugly I will take its clothes off so to speak with why I find it ugly with closer or better angles of the "UG"!
My one sided roots Virginia Creeper...sometimes I ask myself why I even keep it. If I ever had to thin my collection this would be one of the first to go.
View attachment 145621

View attachment 145622

I wanted a pyracantha...can't get them around me. Wanted something with character. The roots are a mess...but sort of pulls it off. But no beauty contest it would ever win.
View attachment 145625

The messed up base...that is rolling to the beat of its own drum. I would rather have this...than boring though. But not pretty.
View attachment 145626

Can't get any uglier than this right now...the Tamarix that died back from arctic cold in my landscape. Only has one live vein running up the trunk.
View attachment 145627

It's just...soooo...raw....undeveloped.
View attachment 145628

Forgot to touch on the Amur Maple...photos explain why it hits this list. It only has one live main branch.
View attachment 145623

The stub of the dead branch makes a great anchor. Potted in the only thing those roots would fit into. *Need more pots!

View attachment 145624
I would switch the twisty root thing with the maple. I think the trunk coming outa the moon pot would look great. then trim down the maple to shohin size. i'll take everything I've seen, but i'm blinded by love. sk.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would switch the twisty root thing with the maple. I think the trunk coming outa the moon pot would look great. then trim down the maple to shohin size. i'll take everything I've seen, but i'm blinded by love. sk.
Twisty root thing? You mean the pyracantha on the right? I appreciate your advice. But I don't see it as a cascade. The maple was planted wrong...but it died this year...not sure if it was from waking really early. I didn't change the greenhouse temps for one tree. When it went outside...I didn't have leaves on my trees yet in landscape. I think it cooked...beyond what it could take.
20180623_093455.jpg

stevek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
yes, I didn't know what it is. but I would think just planted at the same angle, or just tilted a little more to the left, not a semi or full cascade, with the trunk coming out of the high lip of the moon pot would give the roots and trunk a story and reason for the shape. I don't know the sizes of each, so it might not work. just something to talk about. to bad about the maple. sk.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one from the fourth post is really moving on the ugly train.

1529969385985.png

DSC_0010.JPG

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
We all got them.
Don't lie.
I have a few.
Put pictures of them here.
I'll start.
An American elm.
It was collected 4 years ago.
Then I airlayered the bottom 4 inches off last year.
The voles even avoided this one.View attachment 145558View attachment 145559View attachment 145560 Before cut backs. The pics are even in reverse order.View attachment 145561
Why is this ugly? I like it. In fact I think it's perfect material! (maybe the lower U branch could come off)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
yes, I didn't know what it is. but I would think just planted at the same angle, or just tilted a little more to the left, not a semi or full cascade, with the trunk coming out of the high lip of the moon pot would give the roots and trunk a story and reason for the shape. I don't know the sizes of each, so it might not work. just something to talk about. to bad about the maple. sk.
Food for thought...needs a repot next spring. Not sure about the size off hand. But the crescent Erin pot is disinfected and put away. So...Will play with it possibly. Doesn't hurt to toss one in a pot for a look see.

Top Bottom