Ulmus Selfie Contest!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmmm, very interesting. (nods thoughtfully) I fear you are correct in that evaluation.

In all seriousness though, I will have some pretty large scars on the trunk if I remove all branches, won't they take a long time to scar over?

As I was thinking, "I got one with some giant ass scars...." I read Vin's post, and I was like, ah, yes!

I'd start with the bottom one year and work my way up in following yearly increments.

This way, your first branch will end up a year bigger, and so on up, so your diminishing thickness is accomplished too!

Then you'll have growth still to heal each cut as well.

Win win.

Looks healthy enough! Love the trunk!

Sorce

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As I was thinking, "I got one with some giant ass scars...." I read Vin's post, and I was like, ah, yes!

I'd start with the bottom one year and work my way up in following yearly increments.

This way, your first branch will end up a year bigger, and so on up, so your diminishing thickness is accomplished too!

Then you'll have growth still to heal each cut as well.

Win win.

Looks healthy enough! Love the trunk!

Sorce
So you wouldn't remove the top of the trunk until possibly the fourth year? 1st branch, 2nd branch, 3rd branch, and then the trunk. Well, I have all Fall and Winter to think about it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you wouldn't remove the top of the trunk until possibly the fourth year? 1st branch, 2nd branch, 3rd branch, and then the trunk. Well, I have all Fall and Winter to think about it.

Depending on the growth, weather, squirrels, etc..

I think its a plan!
Perfect? Probly not!

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's my second one: I thought this was the same species as the first one, which was why I used it as a thread graft, but you can see the leaves on this one are much bigger than the first!
View attachment 80363 View attachment 80364 View attachment 80365 View attachment 80366

Not than I'm an expert in elm identification (or whatever trees identification for that matter) but it seems to me that the size of the leaves doesn't mean a lot with elm, I saw a lot of them with very different leave's size, even on the same tree.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Me too, a lot! :cool:
Thanks Alain and Sorce!
By the way, I found this picture threadgraft.jpgthat shows my two Elms a few years ago when one was being used as a threadgraft donor for the other. I eventually planted the donor in the ground to speed up growth of the graft. They've come a long way!

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Some cuttings I took this spring from an American elm that took on its own and has never been watered in the scrub out back of work.
That hat is in my back pocket right now as i'm on lunch, the heat aint no joke where I live.

Attachments

• IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 139

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Working at a nursery is way cool isn't it? I miss it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome John!

When you don't have the appropriate hat, you realize you have the MOST appropriate hat!

This one is up there!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where is the hairdo. I had a picture of a Joe Dirt Mullet in my mind.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Where is the hairdo. I had a picture of a Joe Dirt Mullet in my mind.

I did have a mullet back in the 80's while in high school, it was the style back then, however unfortunate.

The "mullet" that my screen name refers to is this:

Mullet Fish.jpg

Growing up on the coastal Alabama, I have caught tons of these. Tasty for breakfast fried up real crispy and served with cheese grits and cathead biscuits. The fry (baby or juvenile) are excellent bait for other species like red fish, speckled trout, etc.

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell yeah Dave E.
Any one of those would make a lovely avatar pic!

Welcome to automatic excellence!

Sorce

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thanks for the welcome.
it's crazy 6 weeks ago these were as skinny as a disposable chop stick and 16- 18" tall now they're like a sharpie even fatter at the base and 24"+there's one not wired that's gotta be 36"

Top Bottom