unconventional juniper

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My favorite tree right now. It doesn't speak the rules, but as an artist I want to be able to go to a group ofmy peers, put my tree down, walk away, and someone, without knowing I am there says "oh, grimes is here..."
that is the ultimate compliment and goal in every media I use.

Attachments

• IMG_3000.JPG
    IMG_3000.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3001.JPG
    IMG_3001.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 220

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I like it. Do you know what kind of juniper it is?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sea green juniper perhaps. I think the attraction in in the question. What’s feeding this thing?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what do you mean feeding, the roots? not much I pretty much ruined all my stuff last year with florduhsoil and am getting around to repotting this year. Roots were sparse, but I am thankful most of the things I am repotting in bonsai soil are doing better

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sea green is chinensis typically scale foliage -even after being reduced (observed in the two I own and cared for nursery stock)

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Grey owl is a Virginiana cultivar so very easy to produce juvenile foliage when you prune them

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very Cool!!!

With deadwood and trunk features like that..

even TRADITIONALLY, the only "Rules" you need to look out for is your green triangle..

That trunk's "non-conventional" appearance is a FEATURE... Just work your scale/taper and get your scalene rockin'.. and it will EXCEL visually.

I like it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(I would simply suggest altering the angle and partially depth, next repot... it's "legs" are too "even", for MY eyes, and this could EASILY be tweaked and problem solved.)

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We will see where the top goes... slow going since style last year. I can bury one trunk with extra pumice easily right now...
You are saying the left one?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see it hlf. Then the vertical thing has to go... or be turned into chollawoooooood

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you went lower planting angle on the RIGHT side.. like leaning that way.. you could refine that point AND it would no longer be vertical..

I like that big deadwood, it'll look better at an angle. don't
86 it!

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but there is dead wood all the way down on right I don't want it ground contact, unless that is not a big deal when you have pumice

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
never mind the photos need to be more close up and I will post later we will ponder it

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you went lower planting angle on the RIGHT side.. like leaning that way.. you could refine that point AND it would no longer be vertical..

I like that big deadwood, it'll look better at an angle. don't
86 it!
I painted live/dead more visible. It was easier to bring the left down, but it is more dramatic already.
Where would be a good spot for a branch on lower?

Attachments

• IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3004.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 120

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Aw, I thought the original view sorta looked like the tree was flipping the bird at the viewer

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@nuttiest Sorry to bump (and steal) this thread; I love this little guy.

I have a couple of small and cheap junipers of unknown varieties but all have very similar big floppy foliage (both scale and needle), how will you/should I tackle it?

I know that not every variety will form lovely tight pads but what mitigation measures should I be using? Grow out until lignified? Wire whilst still this green/young?

Top Bottom