unconventional juniper

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good idea let's explore that. I have a couple other grey owl juniper that would be good for examples, one that I neglected to trim back has recently filled itself out and doesn't want trim it appears!
Will post photo this afternoon of two more and we can brainstorm what to do with these.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay I guess this is not grey owl at all, now we will have to figure out what floppy leaf juniper it is.
Grey owl on the left, still big foliage but not the same. Sometimes it has to be fall before they start looking like each other in color and leaf shape but this is too different.
Don't you think just leave this one on the left grow what it wants or is it too full?20230608_180158.jpg

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like my Blue Rug, with the grey bark and color changing foliage.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Still looks like sea green to me.the great owl looks nice and healthy. You could probably thin it a bit.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be, I just read that junipers can be weeping when stressed with not much foliage, so that could change by fall.
Okay on the first one I will put up a photo of what branches to cut I kind of don't like one whole side.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you think about remove/shari this branch in back (shown on right) then there is still plenty to work with there in front of the white paper in second photo.

Attachments

• 20230608_210021.jpg
    20230608_210021.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230608_210307.jpg
    20230608_210307.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 9

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What do you think about remove/shari this branch in back (shown on right) then there is still plenty to work with there in front of the white paper in second photo.
Man, it’s hard to say. I would thin out all week growth and/or growth that will not contribute to the overall desired branch structure. Perhaps then, a solution will be more visible.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, it’s hard to say. I would thin out all week growth and/or growth that will not contribute to the overall desired branch structure. Perhaps then, a solution will be more visible.
There's an idea, yeah! LOL forgetting the basics here :)

Top Bottom