Urban Yamadori Azalea

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
[COMMENT][/COMMENT] Dario, has this tree put on any buds lately? My azaleas have already started pushing buds. We have had a fairly mild winter here in north Fla. This tree is awesome.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
[COMMENT][/COMMENT] Dario, has this tree put on any buds lately? My azaleas have already started pushing buds. We have had a fairly mild winter here in north Fla. This tree is awesome.

None yet. We are much colder than you guys near the coast...29*F tomorrow.

Hopefully it will start next month. :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's that on top of the soil sphagnum moss?

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Good luck! That's a great stump! Keep looking and saving these trees before they are thrown out in the dumpster.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good luck! That's a great stump! Keep looking and saving these trees before they are thrown out in the dumpster.

Thanks Si and yes, that is the plan. :)

How I wish we can do more though...there are tons of great potential plants being bulldozed here regularly, especially old building sites being torn and replaced. Problem is, the plants are usually the first to go and by the time you notice the activity, the plants are gone. When it is not the case, the contractor usually won't grant you access in fear of liability. :(

I got lucky with this one...the builder had the presence of mind to post on Craigslist before it is to be removed. Though the window (less than a day) was tight.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
We used to dig like this in the past. One time, me and Bonhe (another friend here) drove an hour and a half to dig some trees from an old house that was slated for demolition, and we had one day to do it too. There were so many other trees there that I wished I had collected. Putting wanted ads on Craigslist is a good idea because it raise awareness in people to know that maybe their yard trees are actually worth something, and help prevent them from throwing away their trees outright. I threw away a really nice JBP once when I remodeled my house in the 80's before I was into bonsai. Still feel bad about that one.
I knew a guy who paid a foreman working at the city dump to save the stumps for him. If you ever hang out at the city dump, you will see all manner of nice stumps thrown out everyday. One of my wife's uncle, who is always dirt poor and unemployed, has an awesome stump collection from just dumpster diving. I'd say there is no shame in diving dumps for stumps.:)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... there is no shame in diving dumps for stumps.:)

Catchy!!! ;)

Now I know what to do if I get unemployed. :D Open a nursery "trash to bonsai...saving trees one at a time" and capitalize on how "green" it is. LOL

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Catchy!!! ;)

Now I know what to do if I get unemployed. :D Open a nursery "trash to bonsai...saving trees one at a time" and capitalize on how "green" it is. LOL

Sounds like a show for the Discovery Channel! Throw in some rednecks and some guns and you got a hit. .. Aren't you in Texas somewhere?;)

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sounds like a show for the Discovery Chanel! Throw in some rednecks and some guns and you got a hit. .. Aren't you in Texas somewhere?;)

Yes sir, TX is home for me. Maybe team up with the Crocodile hunters in Louisiana and Florida while collecting bald cypress? LOL

Man!!! This thread got railroaded! (by me no less) :p

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's a good idea! Really! Call it Redneck Bonsai Hunters. Or how about "American Bonsai Choppers"? Or just " Bonsai America" ? Now you got me thinking.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just an update. I pruned the tree and started throwing secondary branches. The shoots were pinched recently actually. :)

Anyone here attempted grafting azalea? This has big leaves and I am considering to attempt grafting next season. If it is not a bad idea, what specie would be good to use as scion? Please note that it is hot here in TX...I want one with small leaves (and flowers) and can take the heat.

Thanks!

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
man, sweet dig! I dug 3 azaleas(2 very similar to your's) a few years ago. The dieback essentially made them useless. I am glad you didnt experience that on your's!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
man, sweet dig! I dug 3 azaleas(2 very similar to your's) a few years ago. The dieback essentially made them useless. I am glad you didnt experience that on your's!

I actually had a bit on the tallest branch/trunk. Other than that, most branch did really well. Of all the plants I collected (that survived LOL), this is the only one I had die back on.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What do you mean by separate? Cut off and start new trees or cut off to create a design on this tree. I know this is not related. However, I noticed this tree is out of the pot. You collected this tree only 10 months ago and it is already out of the pot and it looks like there was some new work done to it. You are taking a chance disturbing the roots twice in 10 months.

Rob

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What do you mean by seperate? Cut off and start new trees or cut off to create a design on this tree. I know this is not related. However, I noticed this tree is out of the pot. You collected this tree only 10 months ago and it is already out of the pot and it looks like there was some new work done to it. You are taking a chance disturbing the roots twice in 10 months.

Rob

Rob,

These are old pics taken shortly after collection....before the initial potting. :)

Separate as in start new plants out of the cuttings. They (A & C) have their own root system.

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whew.....;)

It is tough to say, C looks very promising. However, pics are always 2 dimensional. Still, that is not the only issue. When picking a front or just starting to design a tree. Sometimes you have to turn, twist, rotate and tilt to find the best angle. Sometiems you have to practically turn a tree on it's side or tilt it back or forward. This material does seem to have a couple of options.:D

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I'd keep a and b in the second pic together, and maybe separate c. I think I'd keep studying it and letting it grow for at least the year you plan on. What about a raft-ish form keeping all? Lots of possibilities.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd think about just removing B and keep A and C together as a double trunk.

Top Bottom