Using hydrogen peroxide solution on my trees.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I rootwashed an azalea with root rot that had very few effective roots. I sprayed the roots with 3% H2O2 directly out of the bottle, then planted the azalea in the ground. The azalea flourished and is in a bonsai pot now… see this thread.
I have saved a few ficus that had root rot and fungus gnats with a 3% root wash. Also used it for a powder puff with mealy bugs that was bare rooted and root washed with 3%. Normally I use 1 - 1.5% for most curative issues and about .5% or a bit less for foliar applications.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Again we approach the Hydrogen peroxide discussion.

@FreshAirSunshine good reference. You are a bit late to the party, but what the hey. We’ve posted similar articles before, but another is always good to have.

As mentioned in the past, at our place we use 3% H2O2 extensively here. It does work well. Concentrations of 1-2 TBSP / Qt as a preventative (15-30ml.) About 4 ml can cause damage to leaves. 1 TBSP/Qt works good on seedlings and knocks down fungus gnats is started from the gitgo.

A Coke bottle cap is a very strange measurement, but handy if you want to drink a cold Coke while mixing chemicals and using the cap a measuring tool, (BTW drinking and mixing is universally frowned upon). It’s about 5 ml. A Tablespoon is 15 ml. So as @penumbra mentioned, OP is using lower concentrations then most folks here.

Safe chemicals and the environment is somewhat of an oxymoron. The powers that be have regulated that all chemicals must have an SDS = Safety Data Sheet.

One should always get an SDS before one uses a product. The labels often are not complete. Labels are not complete data.

Just for fun let’s look at the two chemicals in question

3% H2O2 SDS - as sold in drug stores

ZeroTol 2.0 - as sold Note it contains H2O2, also Peroxyacetic and Acetic Acid,
Note the hazard levels 1-4 4 being the highest.

cheers
DSD sends
Could I use it for my azaleas? or maples that may have root rot? or a different solutions is better?
I ask for azaleas since you're very experienced with them and they're so finicky to deal with

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have saved a few ficus that had root rot and fungus gnats with a 3% root wash.
I never had root rot in my ficus, and they stay in 1" of water the entire growing season. I have to repot two of them, I guess I will find out if I develop some this time.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could I use it for my azaleas? or maples that may have root rot? or a different solutions is better?
I ask for azaleas since you're very experienced with them and they're so finicky to deal with
Gosh, I think I already answered that in my post.

Short answer is yes, but one must also get rid of the conditions causing the root rot

btw there is an extremely knowledgeable member of the Houston club who is an expert on azalea care you might want to get to know, named Hoe Chuah. I believe he is going to present in one of the club events early next year.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I never had root rot in my ficus, and they stay in 1" of water the entire growing season. I have to repot two of them, I guess I will find out if I develop some this time.

Hmm…. So sorry I’m not a ficus person, but there are plenty on the forum. I help pot and prune and care for some big ones at the museum. They aren’t in standing water.

cheers
DSD sends

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. So sorry I’m not a ficus person, but there are plenty on the forum. I help pot and prune and care for some big ones at the museum. They aren’t in standing water.

cheers
DSD sends
And I am sure you won't find bald cypresses at the museum in standing water either, but that doesn't mean they develop faster in it.

Once they go into refinement or at the end of the development I will move them to straight akadama, probably with no water, but they will probably be watered multiple times a day.

Old picture of my first ficus, the humidity tray stays full of water most of the time, no stones so the tray is in the water. I have all my ficus cuttings the same way, but inside pots. The two small shohin I am trying to develop are in small round baskets with water 1/2 up the soil line. Fastest way to develop aerial roots as well. I don't have pics as I'm at work, will try to post some tonight.

ficus basket.JPG

FiestaRed

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have great success by mixing at the following rates (3% solution)....

1/.General spritzing, boost to overall health (can be used with a mist sprayer for a direct foliage hit or applied directly to the soil) and seed germination.
2 x plastic coke cola bottle cap to 1 litre of water.

2/. For root rot,mould,fungus and pests -
1 x plastic coke bottle cap of hydrogen peroxide to 250ml water.

Really quite intrigued by all this but not being a Coke drinker, could anyone convert a 'plastic Coke Cola bottle cap' to ML for me please?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From post #13 above….

”A Coke bottle cap is a very strange measurement, but handy if you want to drink a cold Coke while mixing chemicals and using the cap a measuring tool, (BTW drinking and mixing is universally frowned upon). It’s about 5 ml. A Tablespoon is 15 ml. So as @penumbra mentioned, OP is using lower concentrations then most folks here.”

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have saved a few ficus that had root rot and fungus gnats with a 3% root wash. Also used it for a powder puff with mealy bugs that was bare rooted and root washed with 3%. Normally I use 1 - 1.5% for most curative issues and about .5% or a bit less for foliar applications.

Nice! 0.5% seems a bit high for foliar applications, but its good to know one can get away with pushing the levels up. I've some vermiculum wilt on the vine maples that my normal levels are knocking down but not out. So I'll up the ante. Its late in the year for them anyways.

btw. Which trees are you using for these levels, all, trops?

cheers
DSD sends

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Short answer is yes, but one must also get rid of the conditions causing the root rot

btw there is an extremely knowledgeable member of the Houston club who is an expert on azalea care you might want to get to know, named Hoe Chuah. I believe he is going to present in one of the club events early next year.

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks! and yes, ive been meaning to meet him and also thank him for his great blog as well, learned a lot from his blog. but each time he shows at the events, Life has got me needing me somewhere else :/

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I do have close to 100 ficus including my rooted cuttings. I have at least 15+ different species and cultivars. I have only had root rot on maybe 3 of them. They had a massive case of fungus gnat larvae in the soil to the point that you could watch the soil move, and they left glistening slime threads. It was really disgusting.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I do have close to 100 ficus including my rooted cuttings. I have at least 15+ different species and cultivars. I have only had root rot on maybe 3 of them. They had a massive case of fungus gnat larvae in the soil to the point that you could watch the soil move, and they left glistening slime threads. It was really disgusting.
yeah, that's nasty. I add mosquito bites when ever I see wriggling things in the water. Plus, I started adding a few ounces of H202 a few weeks ago, that took care of all the algae that was developing in the containers. I think the main reason I don't get too much crap in my ficus is because I am only using Osmocote Plus, Miracle-Grow, and RAW humic/fulvic/kelp/CalMag/Yucca instead of organic fertilizer.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started adding a few ounces of H202 a few weeks ago, that took care of all the algae that was developing in the containers
It was the only thing that got rid of pea green in an aquarium I had.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks John,
i would not call myself an expert, always continuing to learn and sharing what I know.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks! and yes, ive been meaning to meet him and also thank him for his great blog as well, learned a lot from his blog. but each time he shows at the events, Life has got me needing me somewhere else :/
Just let me know when you are going to the society meeting. I am usually there, but not as often as I like to have at the study group meeting as it is about an hour drive each way; since we are retired and we get up at whatever time we are up, by the tome we are there is only an hour left for the group.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks John,
i would not call myself an expert, always continuing to learn and sharing what I know.
As we all do.
Yet IMHO you are just further down the road of experience then many of us. 😉

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
From all the great info ive read here (thanks nutters) it sounds like i could safely double my mix rates.
Yesterday, i applied a 3% solution, straight out of the bottle, to a small open wound on my arm thinking it was going to make me fly through the ceiling but i was suprised to find it really did bugger all in the way of "stinging"...3% solution is no way near as potent as i thought it would be.
So yeah...upping the dosage here!

Reaction score
And I am sure you won't find bald cypresses at the museum in standing water either, but that doesn't mean they develop faster in it.

Once they go into refinement or at the end of the development I will move them to straight akadama, probably with no water, but they will probably be watered multiple times a day.

Old picture of my first ficus, the humidity tray stays full of water most of the time, no stones so the tray is in the water. I have all my ficus cuttings the same way, but inside pots. The two small shohin I am trying to develop are in small round baskets with water 1/2 up the soil line. Fastest way to develop aerial roots as well. I don't have pics as I'm at work, will try to post some tonight.

View attachment 455738
Hi maiden69. I just noted the passage in your reply - "Fastest way to develop aerial roots as well".
Have you ever tried wiring sponge material (thinner stuff) around areas of the tree where you would like aerial roots to develop?
Keep it moist and you'll get a prolifiration of roots developing...quite quickly too, when done at the right time.
Cheers

Ben in Kzoo

Yamadori
Reaction score
Does light have an impact on the product?
The bottle I bought is brown

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I find it fascinating that the folks who were fearmongering in the discussion thread about chloramine are nowhere to be found in this thread, despite hydrogen peroxide being another substance that rapidly reacts indiscriminately with organic matter via free radical formation. I guess the woo woo superstitions about peroxide are different. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom