Vine Maple (Acer circinatum) Help

MagicMike

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello all, I really like vine maples but have not found out how to grow them in Northwest Louisiana Zone 8b. I am wondering if anyone has had success growing them in the south central to south eastern US? I've tried multiple lighting locations and shade, paid close attention to watering but my VM leaf out and start to decline immediately. I've gotten one to leave out to mature leaves but it is declining as well. I think the heat is just too much, and I have to realize that species is just out of my climate. Any help and advice is appreciated.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In their native region it's very hot and dry in summer. These trees almost always grow in wet zones or along creeks and streams with roots tapped into the water supply. They grow in full shade to full sun, as long as there's water they survive the heat.

MagicMike

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In their native region it's very hot and dry in summer. These trees almost always grow in wet zones or along creeks and streams with roots tapped into the water supply. They grow in full shade to full sun, as long as there's water they survive the heat.
Thanks for the reply. That has not been my experience. I understand they can survive heat in their native habitat but 110 with 90% humidity for weeks at a time in Louisiana is another animal all its own.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, stranger! Celebratory explosions, hoots and hollers in recognition of your arrival. Come and tend with us, to the woody dwarves of the Tiny Forest!

I do not know much of Vine Maples.. @NOZZLE HEAD has had experience with and resulting conversations with this particular Acer.
(Saying his name will summon him.... like Yog-sothoth)

110 with 90% humidity for weeks at a time in Louisiana is another animal all its own.

Dang!!! Mother nature sure laying down that gris gris! ;)

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My vine maples that seem to do the best are in freely draining soil mix, coarse fir bark.
They have different growth habits than most other maples, and as they are fairly new to bonsai cultivation I think there is a secret to getting them to perform well that is not fully understood.

I’m going to keep at it until I figure it out.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't have any serious troubles, but my bonsai-ish ones are likely a. circinatum x japonicum. I have a single a. circinatum in my landscape that produces viable seeds, I think because of a nearby a. japonicum 'Green Cascade' landscape planting is furnishing pollen. Maybe this also accounts for why they seem to me to be very similar to Japanese maples, horticulturally.

img_20200511_150040497_hdr-jpg.303519

This one is about 5 years old now.

For me they stay green in shady conditions and can be made to produce interesting red colorations by popping them into the sun, pretty much like happens with any maple, but the colors are spectacular.

2014-07-07 14.53.26.jpg

MagicMike

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't have any serious troubles, but my bonsai-ish ones are likely a. circinatum x japonicum. I have a single a. circinatum in my landscape that produces viable seeds, I think because of a nearby a. japonicum 'Green Cascade' landscape planting is furnishing pollen. Maybe this also accounts for why they seem to me to be very similar to Japanese maples, horticulturally.

For me they stay green in shady conditions and can be made to produce interesting red colorations by popping them into the sun, pretty much like happens with any maple, but the colors are spectacular.

View attachment 314649
Man they are beautiful! I am thinking of starting them from seed so they will be acclimated from get go.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

View attachment 314649

Beautiful! ...now I’ll summon you too for vine maple inquiries *evil laugh*

;)

Top Bottom