Virginia Pine - Is this tree worth trying as bonsai?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome! Gonna do this to a red pine pinus densiflora

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha. Yeah I actually call it my shepard's hook pine. I've been thinking of ways to do what you are describing. Maybe a piece of re-bar would work too.

Maybe.

They actually sell tools that will do it. A small one is pictured in the "Stick-in-a-Pot" thread.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought about bending that section...

But bending it in a way that ADDS to the literate feel will be difficult....

I would leave it....
It makes it special.

If you look at it with bark....
And a nice refined/as unrefined crown...
It will be beautiful.

Don't ruin the oddity IMO.
That bark is going to look Fucking awesome running straight up that tree.

Sorce

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey I was researching the species because I have them like wildfire around me and came across this thread was curious how the tree made out if you still have it

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey I was researching the species because I have them like wildfire around me and came across this thread was curious how the tree made out if you still have it
I gave up on this one. it was never gonna be any good so I pitched it to make room for better trees.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I gave up on this one. it was never gonna be any good so I pitched it to make room for better trees.
There is a big difference between pitching a single crumy tree and pitching an entire species,,,, this is a big mistake. I personally know of a couple of good ones, one from West Virgina that is a knock out.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is a big difference between pitching a single crumy tree and pitching an entire species,,,, this is a big mistake. I personally know of a couple of good ones, one from West Virgina that is a knock out.

Absolutely. I will try again with the species. They are everywhere here and I know they can make good trees. I've seen some nice ones by johng also. This particular tree was going nowhere fast though

Top Bottom