waking them up early

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've had some years where the soil has been frozen for 7 consecutive months, October-April, usually 5 and a half to 6 months I guess. Not many maples, Amur, red and sugar have all consistently survived well. Glad I don't have to dig them out...View attachment 131166
Over the years, I've had tridents and Japanese maples whose root balls spent anywhere from 3 to 4 consecutive months frozen without issue. Fwiw, they were always exposed to several hard freezes- temps falling into the low 20s F (and not much lower) before they were mulched on the ground in a protected location and left for the winter. While I can't speak for overwintering techniques in a climate as harsh as yours (or Gail's), I can't believe changing their location mid winter...and possibly allowing them to break dormancy... is a good idea.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had some years where the soil has been frozen for 7 consecutive months, October-April, usually 5 and a half to 6 months I guess. Not many maples, Amur, red and sugar have all consistently survived well. Glad I don't have to dig them out...View attachment 131166
I couldn't even imagine!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine are waking up early on their own. Jap Maple, Chinese Elm, Wisteria, Azelea and others swelling bud. 60 and rain today but 15F low in a couple night. Weed out the weaklings I guess.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there any danger in waking up maples early? By early I mean digging through 2 feet of snow and prying them up from the frozen ground? Its been so cold for so long, I'm worried about a couple of my little guys.

I have them in the house now, along with a pink silk tree. Hoping all survived. Once they are thawed and drained, they will go on the back porch where it is cool.
Probably the worst idea you could have. the snow you're digging them out of is insulating them from the worst of the cold. Leave them be. Bringing them inside will push early weak growth that will be inadequate when you put them back outdoors. That is if they survive your forced indoor heating which produces air that is drier than a desert's. That dry heat is also accompanied by woefully inadequate indoor lighting.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Weed out the weaklings I guess.

You will be surprised if they were healthy to start with. Many plants here are starting and we will also have a few rather chilly nights coming our way. Never saw that hurt anything here - ever. I know a deep sudden freeze lasting awhile would but that is not normal anywhere after warming trends. Hell, I watered them all and several are still in those 3-4 inch deep water containers. The Willow is in 6 inches or more...

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yesterday it was 66F here, walked about in a t-shirt, front and back doors open, house got to 76F anyways as the Sun beat down on it...

This morning with more since -

Front -

IMG_0947.JPG

Back - 3 shots of grow shelves -

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

Just noticed in the second back picture lower left is an Oak bent so low it looks to be a cascade... Good reason to wire all plants in!

Grimmy

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We got the same here Grimmy. 15F tonight and near 60F for the weekend again. Crazy weather. Come on spring. I got some new pots and soil almost ready.

edit... now 12 tonight forcasted

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Roller coaster here also. Tuesday was 70, yesterday was 30, and it snowed. Today is 18, supposed to be 65 on Saturday. Crazy shit!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Come on spring. I got some new pots and soil almost ready.

I am certain this will be gone, most likely in 2 -3 days and honest I do not find watering with the Haws especially fun so this gives me a break from it. I just have to pickup a 3 CF bag of small pine bark mulch next trip to Agway and the back of the pickup will have all my mix ingredients ready to use. Funny as the soil, sand, perlite has been on the tail since Fall :rolleyes: Seems here though we will still have another several days of 40's but that is average - yesterday was just a teaser...

Grimmy

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Things are starting to bud here, about 2 months to early. So I've done a couple repots here and there and are keeping them in my cold frame until real spring shows up (I'm not confident the cold is gone for good).

Aaron

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Continues to just get funnier looking here. Powers out at the ski hill so snapped some pics while I wait. image.jpgChicken house, lots of shovelling but I can still get in. image.jpgTree storage spot, tallest juni still just poking out its a 7' tree. image.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Continues to just get funnier looking here. Powers out at the ski hill so snapped some pics while I wait. View attachment 131444Chicken house, lots of shovelling but I can still get in. View attachment 131446Tree storage spot, tallest juni still just poking out its a 7' tree. View attachment 131447
I'm not sure how people live places that it gets like this in winter, seems like a pain in the ass.

Aaron

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure how people live places that it gets like this in winter
On purpose! I often say in winter here "Ohio, who lives here and why?!"
All I ever wanted to do was retire and move South. The I got Grandkids... Can't leave them:)

Back on topic. I want to wake a couple up early. Getting antsy. But I'll wait a bit longer... boring...

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure how people live places that it gets like this in winter, seems like a pain in the ass.

Aaron

Huge pain in the ass, massive, but nice too in many ways.
At least we have heat and shelter and food.
What amazes me is all the wildlife out there eduring it. Deer, elk, moose, sleeping in the snow, digging with their hooves in search of anything to chew on.. Poor buggers. A deer moved into my moms garage this December, still there she doesn't have the heart to evict her, we call her Clancy. Have to kind of slowly shuffle around her to get a load of firewood each time!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you care to elaborate as to why this is bad? It the temp change too much of a shock?

Yesterday it was 66F here and honest the grass was mostly green. The plants front and back yards potted or planted have started to push or bud but no sign of leaf emerging. This "to me" is controlled more by length of day then temperature.
Some plants never loose leaf and normally just change leaf color. They also react to temperature but not as one would think is good but really is.

Last night we had a severe drop in temperature accompanied by a fair amount of snow, actually the only real snow we have had here.While shoveling and cleaning up the car and truck I noticed this Rhododendron acting cool, and to me it shows the benefit of snow/ice insulating a plant which honest took me a long time to see and understand as it seems crazy.

I noted the picture to try to better explain;
The Blue circle shows the leaf fully covered in snow but fully open and extended supporting the snow.
The Green circle shows that after I brushed some away for the picture.
The Red circle shows the leafs curled as they are every morning it is 28-32F and normal - they were NEVER covered in snow.

That was at 3PM here and they wide open leafs I uncovered are now fully curled at 5:20PM as the Red circled are. The blue circled left undisturbed are still extended supporting the insulating snow :confused:

Hard to explain but snow is your friend and from experience it helps more then harms most plants that are acclimated to your location :)

IMG_0954.JPG

No plant was hurt in any way - kind of cool ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom