Want to get this kingsville on track

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done nothing good for this tree, trying to think what I could to before setting it aside for a couple seasons to grow out. I feel like I should cut back lower branches, maybe lose one, focus energy on the top. It's just not registering to me - suggestions welcome. I have considered more upright, but if the top were more substantial, maybe it balances as is. Ugh.

B

Attachments

• IMG_3696.jpeg
    IMG_3696.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3697.jpeg
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 76

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would trim to the purple triangle. I would remove the branch at the red arrow in the spring or after it was used more to build taper below it.
That's helpful - they're so slow growing I hesitate to drop foliage, but that branch is so out of proportion. I needed that sanity check.

B

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One might think about a vision for this tree before moving forward.

Usually the boxwood is styled sort of all together
Bonsai Learning Center

This is a bit out of the normal box, yet seems a heck of a lot more pleasing. (Not that this tree is a raft)
New York Botanical Gardens

Both will tak quite a awhile, but thought I’d stir the mental pot a bit.

Cheers
DSD sends

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One might think about a vision for this tree before moving forward.

Usually the boxwood is styled sort of all together
Bonsai Learning Center

This is a bit out of the normal box, yet seems a heck of a lot more pleasing. (Not that this tree is a raft)
New York Botanical Gardens

Both will tak quite a awhile, but thought I’d stir the mental pot a bit.

Cheers
DSD sends
My other kingsville is much simpler, feels like it will be easy to direct as it ages - this feels like it wants to be the replacement sculpture on Beetlejuice 2, was having trouble squaring that circle.
Love that tree in the second link - another 20 years, maybe 😏
B

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 35

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
… or alternatively read up on Emperor Hadrian, the ‘Enlightened Autocrat’…😎

Yet the concept from the’ quote’ is a very fitting one for all aspiring bonsai hobbyists. Especially new hobbyists who haven’t seen the fruits of their hard work over say 5 years when their tree’s growth and character begins to exponentially improve.

Cheers
DSD sends

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
… or alternatively read up on Emperor Hadrian, the ‘Enlightened Autocrat’…😎

Yet the concept from the’ quote’ is a very fitting one for all aspiring bonsai hobbyists. Especially new hobbyists who haven’t seen the fruits of their hard work over say 5 years when their tree’s growth and character begins to exponentially improve.

Cheers
DSD sends
I'm into the 6-7 years range now, starting to see some trees in my collection that I've done some good for, learned some hard lessons on trees I've set back or lost. Look forward to seeing 20-30 year old efforts.
I need to up my reading game, was voracious thru college, lost steam with so much time in front of the computer reading code, eyes started rebelling.

B

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Boxwoods are slow, I have one that has been sitting in my yard, sizing up for over 20 years now. I really should take a look and see if it is ready to style. Its out of the way, so I forget to look at it.

Kingsville is not winter hardy in my area. But mine is

Buxus sempervirens - European common boxwood. This species is hardy to -25 F which is roughly -32 C. This is with pot "heeled into the ground" rather than just sitting on top of the ground or on a shelf.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boxwoods are slow, I have one that has been sitting in my yard, sizing up for over 20 years now. I really should take a look and see if it is ready to style. Its out of the way, so I forget to look at it.

Kingsville is not winter hardy in my area. But mine is

Buxus sempervirens - European common boxwood. This species is hardy to -25 F which is roughly -32 C. This is with pot "heeled into the ground" rather than just sitting on top of the ground or on a shelf.
I'm southwest Ohio, a bit milder than that - so far no issues with these out here, put in a cold frame last year, mostly to not lose them in my patch if heeled in trees.
I'm trying to plan more on this one because of that slow growth habit - I can't waste a lot of time on bad ideas.

B

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I'm zone 5b, with the most recent cold episode a couple years ago of -17 F. Because of climate change, I doubt I'll ever see -17 F, much less the -25 F of the winters 1979 thru 1983. This year we still have not had a frost.

Columbus Ohio is solidly in zone 6, and not far from zone 7 so you do run a bit warmer, depending on where you are in Southwest Ohio.

So because boxwoods are slow growers, you are doing the right thing, planning ahead.

Top Bottom