Wanted : Acer Palmatum 'Arakawa' Stock

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
If they in fact layer easily then get the largest grafted tree you can find/afford, regardless of the graft quality, and layer it above the graft, maybe multiple places and sell the extras.

Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
Personally I feel that cutting grown plants for bonsai are usually quite costly for the size. I seem to get better plants by purchasing a larger landscape plant and airlayering. Again, arakawa layers very easily (took three last year). I would suggest whitman farms. Will be grafted but very healthy and well priced maples. If you want on its own roots already:

I have never ordered from this company but found listing. Price is great- if you order would love if you would PM me feedback on the quality of the plant.

Contacted them, and they said they're out of stock :(

Anybody else have success on finding a person who sells? I've caught the rough bark maple bug!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anybody else have success on finding a person who sells? I've caught the rough bark maple bug!
If you are empty handed come spring.. I have had good luck so far rooting arakawa cuttings: Find someone neas you and ask for a handfull of springcuttings.
Not the same as starting with a 4" base, I know but..

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nothing wrong with ordering grafted ones and ground layering them. I planted these from Mendocino Maples early this year, and they are already a lot bigger and getting some bark plates:
D737372E-F715-4575-B969-3D726F2E44C1.jpeg
Nishiki Gawa (L) Arakawa (R)

I plan to air layer from them next year, and will ground layer them the following year.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The Arakawa:
600B40E3-FFF9-4AC0-9BD5-0FC3B7262742.jpeg
Not much to see on the Nishiki Gawa yet:
DF24E7BE-C4EC-4734-960D-B4A6B8805586.jpeg
Clearly wouldn’t want to have those grafts on a bonsai, not to mention that your exposed roots won’t be barked.

Last edited:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought Arawaka and Nishiki gawa this year, one from Mendocino Maples and one from Mr Maple in North Carolina. Both have very clean, smooth, low grafts. Prices were the same also, $35 for the six inch one gallon pot. Very happy with the trees and the service from both outfits. Be sure to mention bonsai when you order and they will select one with a good graft for you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decided to buy an arakawa seedling from the famous Bill V (also couldn't resist a Koto Hime from cutting). No guarantee this seedling will have the rough bark, but one can hope! I'll post progression pics. Hopefully, it won't turn out soft-barked like Mach_5's.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
thinking of it.. I do not think I would mind having maple trees like @MACH5 even if not arakawa.

Haha, wouldn't anyone? 🤣

I guess, like any art, this applies: it's not the material but the artist. The most expensive paint is not going to magically turn someone into a painter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really? So I do not need to start buying expensive trunks to get good trees?

Haha, I guess that doesn't quite apply then. Perhaps, to extend the analogy, you can get a master artist who knows how to pencil/outline/sketch, and then inking/coloring is a different process in itself. Still, you need talent on both ends to get a good piece of art.

Top Bottom