Wanted American Elm

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Alright all you Northerners. I'm looking for an American elm. I'd rather not get a seedling, but it doesn't have to be anything fancy either - strictly pre-bonsai stock. Stumps, ugly, whatever as long as it's healthy.

Willing to trade material at equal development level. I have done so many times in the past and have never had any complaints!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I just picked this one up a few weeks ago from the bonsai nursery near me. It's grown from seed started in 2006. No wiring done there, just clip and grow. Although I would like to hold onto this one, there were about 10 more from this batch at $40 each, and about another 10 started IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0431.JPGa year or two earlier for $45. If you are interested I can swing by and take some pictures of the others to send your way.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I told Greg we get volunteer American elm seedlings all the time here. I'm surprised more people don't work with them, they are very responsive to bonsai techniques and bark up quickly.

Lagunitas is one of my favorite breweries - never saw that one though.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
There this one Elm I trained from seedling. I thunk it's American. PM if you're interested.

20170412_112249.jpg
20170412_112306.jpg

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I told Greg we get volunteer American elm seedlings all the time here. I'm surprised more people don't work with them, they are very responsive to bonsai techniques and bark up quickly.

Lagunitas is one of my favorite breweries - never saw that one though.
That's one FINE brew. Highly recommended. Sorry to thread crash BNUT

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
Brent at Evergreen GardenWorks has a nice American elm on his deciduous specimen page. Tree # 9580-010.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You have a variegated Chinese elm variety right?

I have six different ones right now, though I am always looking for more :)

I just took these photos last night of two of the flashier ones:

var1.jpg
var2.jpg

I also have a true yatsubusa - the one with the elongated narrow leaves. I almost view it as a "negative" variegated because it buds out in the spring with light yellow/green leaves with dark green margins and veins. It colors up dark green in the summer however and doesn't maintain the fancy spring color.

yatsu1.jpg

I also have standard Chinese elm, cork, seiju, catlin and fuiri. I don't have any hokkaido. Cork, seiju, catlin and fuiri are large enough that I could probably trade some decent air-layers (like 1" caliper or slightly more).

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have six different ones right now, though I am always looking for more :)

I also have standard Chinese elm, cork, seiju, catlin and fuiri. I don't have any hokkaido. Cork, seiju, catlin and fuiri are large enough that I could probably trade some decent air-layers (like 1" caliper or slightly more).
Sounds like you need a 2 yo seedling from a Drake elm. ;) https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/houston-we-have-a-problem.22655/

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20170507_074031.jpg

I put mad cuttings in the ground...
And they all seem to be taking....

Reckon I can ship em about one year from todayish.

Some are blah....
Some have decent bases....

Of course....

You would have to accept this as my
"Donation"!

Sorce

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom