Watering A Repotted Maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I repotted two maples (one pic is attached) into bonsai pots and this is my first time ever doing so. My question is the soil medium level is convex to the top of the pot and while I've seen more than one like this on the boards, how the heck do you water the tree and not wash away the soil medium? Just water carefully?

1000001781.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I repotted two maples (one pic is attached) into bonsai pots and this is my first time ever doing so. My question is the soil medium level is convex to the top of the pot and while I've seen more than one like this on the boards, how the heck do you water the tree and not wash away the soil medium? Just water carefully?

View attachment 530761
Potting a little lower is the best defense against runoff pulling soil. You should have reduced the bottom of the root mass another 1" to 2". Soil should be level or 1/4" or so below the rim. That makes watering less destructive and more productive, since all the water goes through the pot and not down the exterior.

That's water under the bridge though 😁 At this point, sphagnum moss spread thinly over the top will help keep the soil in place as well as keep it more humid underneath for new roots. A watering wand or similar that has a fine to extremely fine spray also helps tremendously.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the responses. I will add the grated sphagnum moss. I pruned the root mass as much as I thought possibly could without killing the trees. As a novice, perhaps the veterans here have experienced this but on one of trees as I got closer to the base of tree the entangled roots were literally like a block of wood.

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's water under the bridge though 😁 At this point, sphagnum moss spread thinly over the top will help keep the soil in place as well as keep it more humid underneath for new roots.

How long do you like to keep the sphagnum moss on for post repot?

Betula1

Sapling
Reaction score
Alternatively you could water by plunging the pot carefully in a tray or bowl of water then letting it drain ,
that way you wont have the problem of soil washing off the top of your pot

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
A water wand that has a super find holes works best/spagnum moss/regular moss/put some window screen on it

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find that you only get good surface root development if the base if your tree has sufficient substrate. And you need these roots to remote more from the rootbal next time.
Alternatively, if you recently did the repot, you could take it out of the pot, reduce the rootmass more, and repot.
Next to that, there is always to option to add a rim to your pot"

logo_20230324_84.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long do you like to keep the sphagnum moss on for post repot?
Typically a couple of months. I've left it on some repotted trees all summer in some cases.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Its been covered, but the fix for this situation is to not be in this situation. If you look at Kokufu albums ...or Kimura's book, you'll see that the soil surfaces of those trees are flat ...and slightly below the lip of the pot (which isn't always evident because they've mossed the pot for the show). Shohin are sometimes permitted an ever-so-slight mounding ...but they also likely have their own watering care anyway. Proper repotting is key in so many ways.

I'll also second the recommendation for a good wand. Once you've used the Masakuni (and likely other japanese-style wands), you'll understand what you've been missing. They're more expensive, but it's not all vanity.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I find that you only get good surface root development if the base if your tree has sufficient substrate.
Thank you. I remember asking about that really early on in my bonsai journey and a certain expert's opinion was to expose the nebari from day one, even on young material. I did not and still do not understand how exposing the roots could encourage development of nebari.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
exposing the roots could encourage development of nebari.
Upside is that they start barking up earlier and therefore they match up with the trunk at a younger age.
I guess it depends on what the preference is. If I see how often people graft young plants.. I keep the nebari covered as long as I am building the main tree structure.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the responses. I will add the grated sphagnum moss. I pruned the root mass as much as I thought possibly could without killing the trees. As a novice, perhaps the veterans here have experienced this but on one of trees as I got closer to the base of tree the entangled roots were literally like a block of wood.
Most root masses are like that. They require sorting and reduction, particularly if they're an entangled mess. Most beginners aren't nearly as aggressive as they should be in addressing that. Maples can handle pretty hard reduction. I use a saw to eliminate the bottom two thirds of most maple root masses at repotting, then sort through the remaining roots, particularly at the surface

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most root masses are like that. They require sorting and reduction, particularly if they're an entangled mess. Most beginners aren't nearly as aggressive as they should be in addressing that. Maples can handle pretty hard reduction. I use a saw to eliminate the bottom two thirds of most maple root masses at repotting, then sort through the remaining roots, particularly at the surface
Indeed.

Did not really want to show it here, as I get lots of negative comments, but.. This is a nice illustration of how far we sometimes go. This was in the place I take classes when dealing with very old rootballs left too long in a pot:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Given my root mass block of wood reference, until your response, I was a bit embarrassed to admit that in my frustration, I did break out a saw and cut the root mass block of wood in half, however I did not cut enough for tree to fit nicely in the pot. I now have four Chinese Elms to do. I believe I can do them with a bit more confidence. Living and learning I suppose.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given my root mass block of wood reference, until your response, I was a bit embarrassed to admit that in my frustration, I did break out a saw and cut the root mass block of wood in half, however I did not cut enough for tree to fit nicely in the pot. I now have four Chinese Elms to do. I believe I can do them with a bit more confidence. Living and learning I suppose.
Don't be embarrassed. I have a large trident maple that had a significant nebari that was buried under a mass of roots for years. Didn't know it was there until I learned from watching someone else how hard they can be root pruned. I discovered the nebari underneath two inches of overgrown roots one year when I got more aggressive with a saw and shears. Same with some JMs-although you have to be a little gentler with them

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I keep the nebari covered as long as I am building the main tree structure.
Second this approach. Prior to this point keeping the nebari covered aids in thickening the thinner roots near the surface to improve nebari. It does this by maintaining better moisture levels near the surface. Very important in deciduous development of species like Maples, Zelkova that are known for flatter wider nebari forms.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve been using the orbit wand mentioned in that blog post for the past 3 years. It’s a solid wand.

Top Bottom