Watering - high temperatures

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only time I'm watering at night...is in fall when I'm expecting frost. To set in dormancy...when temps will be colder and it's windy. I read to do that somewhere .
I read something similar from Brent, but for protection against the freezing temps in his area.

Below this point some kind of freeze protection is needed. I live in USDA Zone 8 and each year I prepare all of my container plant areas for freeze protection by programing the irrigation system to come on if I expect the low temperature to approach 15F. When water freezes it actually releases a good deal of heat. Of course the ice doesn't heat up, but what does happen is that the temperature of the ice does not fall until all this heat is released and radiated into the surroundings. In addition to this, the ice forming on the plant can also insulate it somewhat, protecting it from falling air temperatures. This form of frost protection is widespread in the orchards and vineyards of our area.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I read something similar from Brent, but for protection against the freezing temps in his area.

Below this point some kind of freeze protection is needed. I live in USDA Zone 8 and each year I prepare all of my container plant areas for freeze protection by programing the irrigation system to come on if I expect the low temperature to approach 15F. When water freezes it actually releases a good deal of heat. Of course the ice doesn't heat up, but what does happen is that the temperature of the ice does not fall until all this heat is released and radiated into the surroundings. In addition to this, the ice forming on the plant can also insulate it somewhat, protecting it from falling air temperatures. This form of frost protection is widespread in the orchards and vineyards of our area.
I know Wigerts have shared some shockingly amazing photos of ice over bonsai from misting when temps drop.

My trees winter in a controlled cold greenhouse. But I still am cautious as I allow them to fall into dormancy. If it gives me peace of mind.

I think Ryan Neil spoke of it in a wintering video too. I once was an admin of a bonsai group on Facebook. Sharing tidbits to newbies...in the album section to find later.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"Old Wives Tale" or not......fungus likes conditions with high moisture. That's the reason why in a home the first place mold will show up is in your bathroom if it's not properly ventilated.

Keep JM maple leaves constantly wet in the evening/night and soon enough you'll have powdery mildew or leaf spot on the leaves.

Don't believe me try it.............I grow plenty enough plants to know 😁
Yes, and No. Powdery Mildew is/can be a problem in places where the foliage of the resident plants do not cycle wet, dry every day. That especially includes nearby blocks of dense shrubbery that do not cycle dry every day close to the bonsai. Free air movement and sunlight is as important for the local environment as it is for bonsai.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, and No. Powdery Mildew is/can be a problem in places where the foliage of the resident plants do not cycle wet, dry every day. That especially includes nearby blocks of dense shrubbery that do not cycle dry every day close to the bonsai. Free air movement and sunlight is as important for the local environment as it is for bonsai.
Totally agree!

.......I'm still going to beat you in the azalea contest!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
tiny droplets travelling through the air also lose heat fast so even hot water through micro sprays probably won't hurt the plants
This is what I figured and have banked on when I've had to use a sprinkler....
I hate vacations....
Stick in the mud over here....perfect for bonsai.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that heat can kill bonsai faster than cold. Heat meaning dry and in the 95F range and above. In that situation if you are in doubt about watering it is best to just water.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know Wigerts have shared some shockingly amazing photos of ice over bonsai from misting when temps drop.
I saw a video where they explain that they keep the sprinklers on continuously until it warms up again. Not sure if that's a viable solution for everyone.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wonder if that is to keep the pipes from freezing....?
No, it is to protect their bonsai material. Ice is an insulator.

I saw a video where they explain that they keep the sprinklers on continuously until it warms up again. Not sure if that's a viable solution for everyone.
Maiden above mentioned it as what they do. It was the reason I referenced it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Totally agree!

.......I'm still going to beat you in the azalea contest!
You don't stand a chance in Hell. Remember, I cheat. And lie. As a matter of fact, mine is coming along pretty good...
Mel Goldstein at Matthaei.JPG
How's that for 2 years from scratch?

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of the biggest dangers during these times of extreme temperatures is hot pots!
important point. It is wise to cool off the pots and foliage even if the roots seem to have enough water. Particularly if the temperatures are around or greater than 90 degree Fahrenheit or 30 degree Celsius for a rough guideline.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought day drinking was acceptable except when it makes you forget to water when it's hot?

It's also ALWAYS noon at Grimmy's house!

Sorce

Top Bottom