Weak, uneven flush from Arakawa (with leaf damage?)

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My arakawa has behaved very strangely this year, with a very unhealthy flush, and I'm curious if the issues look like a particular problem to anyone. Last year the tree grew fantastically without issue, i pruned back in the winter, and now this. I see viable buds on the tree that have not opened yet, where other buds have already flushed out completely - albeit with very unhealthy, malformed leaves. Any help would be great! Thanks a bunch.

A note : when I saw this issue begin, I applied a granulated clearys3336 just in case it was fungal. Not sure if it has done anything so far though.

PXL_20220323_002631730.jpg
PXL_20220323_002638491.jpg
PXL_20220323_002648260.jpg
PXL_20220323_002715239.jpg
PXL_20220323_002725447.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think it got enough winter chill?

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Do you think it got enough winter chill?
He did well the previous winter, and naturally lost his leaves. I think he was without leaves for at least 2 months. I gotta imagine that is long enough? I have many other maples that are doing well

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
By the looks of it, glad you hit it for fungus.

I’m in Southern California, and lost Arakawa and Pine Bark maples (both pre-bonsai, but becoming craggily) last summer. I’ve sworn to myself that I’m done buying maples here in this climate.

I hope you get yours straightened out. Nice trunk!

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Please share the root work history. I.e. when repotted or root pruned and how long in that pot. And what kind of soil is that?
Ah yes! Reported spring 2021 and planted in that training pot that has basically a mesh bottom with a layer of large pumice on the bottom and medium Aoki blend. Fertilized with ozmocote on normal schedule

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fertilized with ozmocote on normal schedule

This is a scientific impossibility twice removed from possible and it may be causing your problems.

Ozmocote has no schedule, it is "time" released but without electronics, "time" is a function of heat and water.

In bonsai, where our pots are hotter than the earth, spend some time leafless, and water daily, the "time" factor exits promptly stage left.

So you can't schedule the unschedulable.

Ozmocote is the only thing I've ever "burned" a tree with. Didn't believe it was even a thing till it happened and I'm 95% sure it was N burn.
Fast forward to my discovery in this Mugo...
And that stuff gets placed on the no fly list. Any and all of it.

My problems with the "sprayers" and bonsai......

Is that in order for trees to be healthy enough to style timely, they will be beyond a Brix score/rating that allows them safety from pests and fungals to take hold.

So I firmly believe MOST trees are terribly unhealthy.
Which means most work you see is detrimental.

There is a realm where there is no detrimental.

The way I see it, if you operate on spraying, you're operating at 75%.
During the 1-2 year transition away from sprays, you WILL be operating at 50%.
But when you go spray free you operate at 100%.

Add them inevitable years up, and you save time exponentially. And $.

Sorce

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
This is a scientific impossibility twice removed from possible and it may be causing your problems.

Ozmocote has no schedule, it is "time" released but without electronics, "time" is a function of heat and water.

In bonsai, where our pots are hotter than the earth, spend some time leafless, and water daily, the "time" factor exits promptly stage left.

So you can't schedule the unschedulable.

Ozmocote is the only thing I've ever "burned" a tree with. Didn't believe it was even a thing till it happened and I'm 95% sure it was N burn.
Fast forward to my discovery in this Mugo...
And that stuff gets placed on the no fly list. Any and all of it.

My problems with the "sprayers" and bonsai......

Is that in order for trees to be healthy enough to style timely, they will be beyond a Brix score/rating that allows them safety from pests and fungals to take hold.

So I firmly believe MOST trees are terribly unhealthy.
Which means most work you see is detrimental.

There is a realm where there is no detrimental.

The way I see it, if you operate on spraying, you're operating at 75%.
During the 1-2 year transition away from sprays, you WILL be operating at 50%.
But when you go spray free you operate at 100%.

Add them inevitable years up, and you save time exponentially. And $.

Sorce
All I meant was that I followed the instructions lol

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Am nervous if this one going to pull through. I never have good luck when a maple showing weak growth like that. Good luck to you as this one has nice bark.

Top Bottom