Wedding Tree

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey fellow Bnutters. On September 1st tied the knot!
On the way home from the venue in Pennsylvania, I stopped at a nursery to pick out a wedding tree for us. They didn’t have much and it was all over grown but I got this Japanese maple for 60$ not sure of the cultivar. At the nursery I briefly glanced at the maple when we bought it. But when we got home I cleared the weeds, and it’s got some baaad inverse taper. I removed several branches to try and correct it, but I think it’s too far gone to correct.
Next spring I’m going to air layer the top off and do a trunk chop to start over. The tree is healthy and the cuts are already starting to callous over, it’s got a ton of new growth and it’s even throwing buds out of the old trunk.
I’m not soo sure on where to make the chop. I have a good feeling it will bud back strong, I’m thinking right below where the first cut paste is. My end goal is a big broom style tree. The last two pics were from today. It looks bare and not in too good condition, but I’ll take a better picture tomorrow it’s growing real strong right now and looking healthier than when I got it. I tried setting that first branch downwards at first but, I scrapped that idea of using that as a first branch. I think chopping is the way to go. Thoughts?
And for 60$ it will be a fun project. Hopefully I can get a airlayer so if I kill the rest of the tree I’ll still have a piece of our wedding tree.
This will be a long term project, just like a marriage right?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations on your wedding. I bought my first bonsai on my honeymoon. Carried it to every hotel and B&B we stayed in. Fortunately the marriage lasted all the way till her death in 2017. Bought that first tree in 1984, it didn't fair as well......

I did take a picture of it in 1984. A scan....

scan00011.jpg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Congratulations! This tree will have special significance. I bought a Butterfly Bush when my son was born and my wife views it as one of the sacred plants in our garden, to be conserved at all costs!

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks! Yeah it was slim pickings at the nursery but I had to get one that day.263293
Anyone know the culitvar?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Marriage? This might interfere with your "bonsai-n".....? 😁 😁 😁 😁

….non the less, good luck!!!

....hopefully the vows were not too strict....have you heard some of these things? Talk about expectations!!!😘😄😄😄😄😄

Looks like ya' got a nice head of spinach goin', be ready to kiss that flow good bye.:( Any kids planed? Bonsai takes a hit there, too.....

......sorry, do I come off a bit bitter....;)😭😭😭😭

Enjoy yourselves and always keep an open mind and a forgiving heart.....🥰

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Marriage? This might interfere with your "bonsai-n".....? 😁 😁 😁 😁

….non the less, good luck!!!

....hopefully the vows were not too strict....have you heard some of these things? Talk about expectations!!!😘😄😄😄😄😄

Looks like ya' got a nice head of spinach goin', be ready to kiss that flow good bye.:( Any kids planed? Bonsai takes a hit there, too.....

......sorry, do I come off a bit bitter....;)😭😭😭😭

Enjoy yourselves and always keep an open mind and a forgiving heart.....🥰
She’s supportive. Waters when I can’t, turns a blind eye when a plant or pot comes in the Mail.
What’s that saying? “Happy husband happy life” something like that 😄
I’ll do what @Paulpash did and use a new kid as an excuse to buy a new tree. Thanks for the advice haha

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Congratulations on your wedding. I bought my first bonsai on my honeymoon. Carried it to every hotel and B&B we stayed in. Fortunately the marriage lasted all the way till her death in 2017. Bought that first tree in 1984, it didn't fair as well......

I did take a picture of it in 1984. A scan....

View attachment 263289
Sorry to hear that smoke.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
She’s supportive. Waters when I can’t, turns a blind eye when a plant or pot comes in the Mail.
What’s that saying? “Happy husband happy life” something like that 😄
I’ll do what @Paulpash did and use a new kid as an excuse to buy a new tree. Thanks for the advice haha
To paraphrase botanical Spider-Man, "With great flower, comes great responsibility." Easier to acquire a tree but if it dies there'll be hell to pay.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool, I had my wedding reception on the 1st too, also in PA! but we got married back in February in our living room. What nursery did you hit? JUST found out about a really cool one in Jersey that specializes in JM. Headed there this Monday

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cool, I had my wedding reception on the 1st too, also in PA! but we got married back in February in our living room. What nursery did you hit? JUST found out about a really cool one in Jersey that specializes in JM. Headed there this Monday
Congrats man. I drove back down on Labor Day so nothing was open. I went to toms rare plants or something like that. It was on the eastern shore. Where I’m jersey are you going?

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Forrestford Tried to google the rare plants place, couldn’t find it. I’m as eastern as it gets. This New Jersey nursery is called amble side gardens. Not a bonsai nursery but when I googled “buy Coonara Pygmy” it popped up as local place with jm varieties. Coonara is high up my list. Monday is my only day to go anytime soon but if you want to meet me there I’ll buy lunch and a round (or two) of beers. Don’t know how much of a hike it is for you. It’s an hour fifteen from me. Hopefully worth the drive

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Forrestford Tried to google the rare plants place, couldn’t find it. I’m as eastern as it gets. This New Jersey nursery is called amble side gardens. Not a bonsai nursery but when I googled “buy Coonara Pygmy” it popped up as local place with jm varieties. Coonara is high up my list. Monday is my only day to go anytime soon but if you want to meet me there I’ll buy lunch and a round (or two) of beers. Don’t know how much of a hike it is for you. It’s an hour fifteen from me. Hopefully worth the drive
Oh that’s a pretty far drive for me like 6 hours, I’ll have to take a rain check on that, good luck tho. Actually my wedding was at olde homestead in Allentown, pretty close to you. All shapes nursery is close to you too. I’ve been there a few times he’s got some good stuff. I’m always driving up to CT and NY so next time I’m up that way I’ll take you up on the beer man. 🍻

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Forrestford I hit all shapes a few times a year it’s cool. The owner has gotten really into azaleas and tropicals lately, not my thing. Don’t blame you on passing up a 12 hour round trip to a mystery nursery haha. But the national show (2020) is well worth the drive

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Forrestford I hit all shapes a few times a year it’s cool. The owner has gotten really into azaleas and tropicals lately, not my thing. Don’t blame you on passing up a 12 hour round trip to a mystery nursery haha. But the national show (2020) is well worth the drive
I’ve heard. Me and the wife are going to the show in Asheville next month. Never been but I hear great things as well

Reactions: GGB
Top Bottom