What’s going on in amcoffeegirl’s backyard

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My tropicals can tell that it’s almost time to go back outside. After a winter of being mostly leafless they are budding back out.
I was getting nervous on a few of them but so far so good. View attachment 369532View attachment 369533
I have done repots on several already.
The roots do look better than last year.
I tried not to water as much this year.
I’m repotting into a normal size mix to encourage finer roots. I did switch to a coarse mix a few years back but decided that my roots respond better in the other.
My Willow leaf always loses it's leaves in the winter indoors. Last year it didn't leaf out until June! I have better lights this year and it is waking up. I found that some of mine do not do as well in a coarse mix also, like the Barbados Cherries. They are thirsty and do better in a bit finer substrate.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well it needs cleaned up and a repot.
One side seems to be pushing out of the container. May try and leave it at this angle but cleaner.
it survived!
actually no loses this year.

well maybe- my Matt O maple survived the winter but something ate all the leaves off so possibly dead. Still green though so we will see.
Apparently critters love to eat new growth. I will update later.
Excuse any typos cause I had a couple beers.
5E9A3B76-AC95-481A-9994-6F35096DA83D.jpegAF5224AB-AA8A-4CA9-9F5C-51C83B1766A8.jpegB0041A46-8B81-40F3-BBFD-3BF9935B6718.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well it needs cleaned up and a repot.
One side seems to be pushing out of the container. May try and leave it at this angle but cleaner.
it survived!
actually no loses this year.

well maybe- my Matt O maple survived the winter but something ate all the leaves off so possibly dead. Still green though so we will see.
Apparently critters love to eat new growth. I will update later.
Excuse any typos cause I had a couple beers.
View attachment 376266View attachment 376267View attachment 376268
🍻

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I absolutely love this one...Do you have to thin the branching to let light in...so there isn't weak branches later?
I don’t find that to be an issue yet.
I will trim off any crossing branches or wire into a better location. Working on letting the lower branches grow out. The top I can keep trim for now. We will see what this year brings.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have discovered that I think my trees are really buff and getting so thick- until I take the wire off- then I’m like ok never mind. Is that just me or does anyone else go through that?

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I had a lot more fun than expected looking at the close up pics of the trees and finding them in your bench pic. Some nice little trees.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is ficus 89. I’ve put it through a lot since it came to me from Wigert’s.
it’s getting healthy now.
Also a shot of leaf size comparison between 89 and my regular f. salicaria.
E107753B-2B1C-46D8-A7E3-7B9045436279.jpeg8CB0DA09-7124-41F6-9FEC-8CCC0395EBE5.jpegF43DD3A3-5403-4B96-9187-42A1CF80A7B6.jpeg

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BOGART.gif tenor.gif ....I'm a little more Namath, and I won't apologize. He can kiss me, just lip stuff. ;) 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

But seriously, these are just fantastic!! Really look great and healthy as can be. Super job.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those all look amazing! I can't wait to reach the level you're playing at 🙃
Thanks
I feel like there is more to learn and that I can do better.
I want to grow better branch structure so I will read more over the winter.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
My Willow leaf always loses it's leaves in the winter indoors. Last year it didn't leaf out until June! I have better lights this year and it is waking up. I found that some of mine do not do as well in a coarse mix also, like the Barbados Cherries. They are thirsty and do better in a bit finer substrate.

Your trees are beautiful. I have a few questions but I wondered what substrate you use on your Barbados Cherry. Is there are a premixed soil that you use or what do you recommend? We just got a pre-bonsai Barbados cherry that's only a few years old and will stay in dirt for another year to thicken the trunk but any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you, Katie

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So I’m going to photo dump a lot of small projects here and I will photo my main franchise trees when they come back inside for the winter. It will be good to have a comparison thread through the years.
View attachment 314719View attachment 314720View attachment 314721View attachment 314722View attachment 314723View attachment 314724View attachment 314725View attachment 314726
some need to be worked on, some need to be cut back and some just need to grow.
There are a few projects that I haven’t included because I think they will be better than now in a month or two.
I will get all of my trees in this thread by fall. :)
How old is the tree in the white pot? (I believe it's the fourth pic?) and the one before it in the black pot? Am just trying to get a better sense of time on them.

Top Bottom