What bonsai things would you have done differently had you known?

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Done differently? I would have chosen a bonsai instructor who knew how to teach. Mine was an apprentice in Japan and good artist. However, I learned very little from him. Also had a weird laugh. Live and learn.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got started on a wisteria and it was the one that taught me this lesson actually! It took about three months to set. With how fast they grow, I’m half tempted to suggest them to folks to learn this very lesson as quick as I did 😅 it’s just a shame they’re so brittle to wire just before they bud out. But I’m still a newbie so I was blown away and am still learning new things.

As for what I learned: don’t be afraid to get a sunshade, to fail, and to add organic materials to your mix because you live in a hot climate where you’d otherwise be watering almost non-stop if you used nothing but inorganic. Just these three things killed a beautiful ginkgo I had bought from a friend and I’m still kicking myself.
I’ve been thinking about this. We get well up over 105*, in the summer

Trying to think of what needs to be done that would hold enough water in summer, yet stays a bit drier in winter

Even organic mix was drying out after half a day in a 2gal pot when it’s 110+

Honestly, prob my only option… or I repot going into fall which sounds like a very bad idea

alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve been thinking about this. We get well up over 105*, in the summer

Trying to think of what needs to be done that would hold enough water in summer, yet stays a bit drier in winter

Even organic mix was drying out after half a day in a 2gal pot when it’s 110+

Honestly, prob my only option… or I repot going into fall which sounds like a very bad idea
Honestly I perpetually have this struggle too! What's helped me is expanded shale after repotting in the fall (which I did end up having to do with my wisteria who's my experimental child but you can get away with repotting them more often), it holds a surprising amount of water, experimenting with the amount of soil, and that sunshade for the summer (50% is the sweet spot tbh). I keep them under the sunshade during the summer then bring them out from under it after we aren't in the triple digits anymore. It's actually how I was able to keep a Fiddleleaf Fig outside for almost the entirety of the year! It's super happy now, and I'm who people bring theirs to in the neighborhood to rehab theirs 😅

We also get up to 105*-110* (Central Texas) so I feel you! I'm probably gonna invest in another sunshade this year so I can expand my growing area in my yard.

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wish I would have stuck with it the first time. I was about ten years in and active in the local Bonsai Society. I had a bad winter and lost 80% of my trees so I gave up. So, after a long hiatus, I started again a few years ago . Now, at age 75, I am not starting anything from seed.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I see and hear people say buying/getting more trees is a huge beginner red flag . I’m a beginner and I have 40-50+ trees to take care of(including seedlings) . I feel like having so many is allowing me to make early mistakes and not to be worried and also so in the future I can develop tons of trees . I don’t know what my personal future is gonna be but bonsai has been my favorite hobby for a little bit now . I feel like having this many trees at 14 is gonna help me improve .

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see and hear people say buying/getting more trees is a huge beginner red flag . I’m a beginner and I have 40-50+ trees to take care of(including seedlings)
You will never hear that from me.
You can never put passion on a leash.
BTW, I have lots of seeds started and many stratifying. I'm not a spring chicken.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I see and hear people say buying/getting more trees is a huge beginner red flag . I’m a beginner and I have 40-50+ trees to take care of(including seedlings) . I feel like having so many is allowing me to make early mistakes and not to be worried and also so in the future I can develop tons of trees . I don’t know what my personal future is gonna be but bonsai has been my favorite hobby for a little bit now . I feel like having this many trees at 14 is gonna help me improve .

this is how I feel. Always trying to do the best work, some is for practice, some is higher stakes, with an eye towards maintaining the material in a way that someone else would actually want it if it gets to be too much.

I see myself giving / selling off a decent amount as I narrow down which one I want to focus on of any given group.

Seems like the world could use more bonsai material so might as well, while I’m doing the other stuff too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two things I would have done differently if I knew.
First I came in with the attitude that I can bonsai anything. While this may be true to someone extent, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Secondly I decided I wanted one of every species and I have a very nice variety, but I think it is better to focus on one or two and become proficient with it. I know a little about everything and not a lot about anything.

Top Bottom