What cases / when is it right, aesthetically-speaking, to ignore the rule of "angle the tree toward the viewer"?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
wow... too much ado about nothing!
Scrolling back up that did become a long ramble. Lol. Hopefully it gets my point across still though we aren’t questioning your knowledge we’re asking about the rare exceptions and why. We’re seeking more knowledge, not dismissing what you’ve given us.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scrolling back up that did become a long ramble. Lol. Hopefully it gets my point across still though we aren’t questioning your knowledge we’re asking about the rare exceptions and why. We’re seeking more knowledge, not dismissing what you’ve given us.
Lol!!! I think you just need to see more good trees in person, and not just in photos.

The forward lean thing was an epiphany for me. Once I realized that the great trees I had admired in photos all had that forward lean, it became easier for me to style my trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Japanese are shorter.

If, like an eye exam, 1 is better than 2, stay with 1.

Sorce

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If you look at Walter Pall’s “Ezo Spruce #2” thread, there are lots of images of his tree. Most of which are images tKen from the front. There is no evidence of any lean whatsoever.

Yet, when you look at the pictures taken from the side, the forward movement is quite pronounced. Surprising so, I might add! So, even in “naturalist” styling, the forward lean is effective in making a pleasing image, not just in the more conventional Japanese styling.
I see what you mean in this one because it’s intended to look natural but still has the lean. As a side note I wonder what those tiny grasses are and if they require lots of pruning. I like the effect and if they’re compatible with cypress would make for a great Everglades themed planting!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Lol!!! I think you just need to see more good trees in person, and not just in photos.

The forward lean thing was an epiphany for me. Once I realized that the great trees I had admired in photos all had that forward lean, it became easier for me to style my trees.
I have the issue of not being able to be a club member because I work weekends and most of the 3 closest club‘s meetings/events are during day on weekends. Most major events in Florida are the same way. After Covid maybe I can find some to attend but right now I’m trying to find more good trees to look at it in person. There are a few members here in FL I’m thinking of asking to see their collections. That will hopefully help assuming they actually have “finished” (ha! Yeah right!) bonsai that’s are in a position of refinement and maintenance. Otherwise I go to nurseries and gardens to see what I can. Lol

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have the issue of not being able to be a club member because I work weekends and most of the 3 closest club‘s meetings/events are during day on weekends. Most major events in Florida are the same way. After Covid maybe I can find some to attend but right now I’m trying to find more good trees to look at it in person. There are a few members here in FL I’m thinking of asking to see their collections. That will hopefully help assuming they actually have “finished” (ha! Yeah right!) bonsai that’s are in a position of refinement and maintenance. Otherwise I go to nurseries and gardens to see what I can. Lol

yeah... right now it’s tough. Most shows (when they happen) are also over a weekend, so that’s going to make it more difficult for you.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
yeah... right now it’s tough. Most shows (when they happen) are also over a weekend, so that’s going to make it more difficult for you.
I will persevere and probably make lots of mistakes but I will learn. I am also planning on buying books because I’m a voracious reader. If you can’t tell by the numbers of posts I consume. Lol. Any book recommendations for deciduous and cypress? I know this will be heresy to some especially you and Lord Mugo but im not a pine fan. I did stumble upon an interesting juniper for $10 in about a two gallon size that I’m considering as my token to the evergreens. Lol.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You’re in Florida, you should concentrate on species that do well there.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
You’re in Florida, you should concentrate on species that do well there.
Exactly my plan. I plan to go on a collecting frenzy this spring and probably spend too much money at Wigart’s. Lmao

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see what you mean in this one because it’s intended to look natural but still has the lean. As a side note I wonder what those tiny grasses are and if they require lots of pruning. I like the effect and if they’re compatible with cypress would make for a great Everglades themed planting!

of course. its the same in nature too. if youre standing at the foot of an ancient oak and its leaning towards you, or even if its bolt upright and towering tall, it wont look as impressive or overpowering if its leaning backwards. in fact you would probably want to walk around to the opposite side if it was leaning backwards from you.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm... I think you’re the one with the reputation of wearing small underwear...
Tight....super tight.

You wouldn't recognize me right now. Lost 55 pounds in 60 days. Still going down. Last time I was at this weight was in 1997.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't eat....my heads just not in the game. Since Rosie died last week I haven't eatin five meals.

Top Bottom