What Could It Be? No ID!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehe! Looks Avacodo-esque!

I’ve seen similar Rhamnus leaves like that up here, but I don’t think that’s right.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.
🤓

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaves from the saplings remind me of a magnolia of some sort, but not sure about the bark.

I couldn't see the terminal buds too well but they may not be right for magnolia.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your profile says Alabama, they appear to be understory type deciduous trees, and the leaves are shiny ovular and pointed. Can't quite tell accurately from the pictures their arrangement or size.
Could you have found a stand of pawpaws?
The geography, leaf shape and growth habits seem right.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have pawpaw all over my back yard. The leaves look similar, the bark similar in a couple pics. They sprout from the roots all over the place. If they have small yellow flowers that stink.....it's pawpaw. Also when you cut and split the wood, the heart wood is sometimes greenish.

20210416_134719.jpg

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
not magnolia or paw paw. the bark doesn't match. no flower buds at tips. the leafs don't really have that pear shape and a droop like paw paws either. 🙂

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Google has an app you scan a pic of the leaves and it will search the net with a match.......it's usually close......most of the time.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
those holes in a ring around the trunks of magnolia and paw paw are absent on these trees. the bark seems more similar to the different kinds of oaks that are here too.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Magnolia have pretty fat yellow/white roots that make them stick out. Pretty fragrant too, so if you jam a shovel in there you'll know if it's a magnolia or not.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
i think it is a sourwood. have several in the woods around me. Leaves are kind of big so I haven't messed with them. At least haven't seen one I wanted to mess with. They do turn a pretty red in the fall. I didn't know it until now but apparently they are closely related to magnolias.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i dug the one I've been looking at. it had more than a few fine roots. the tap root looks like it was a root shoot from a parent tree. we'll see what happens. in the spring I'm going to airlayer one or two in the woods and see how they do. if successful, I'll definitely be trying it on this one.

20230112_092519.jpg20230112_092457.jpg20230115_072654.jpg

Top Bottom