What do you do with a dead tree....? (..or the making of a Bonsai Exhibit)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've often wondered what folks do with their trees that have suffered an untimely death.... So this is a thread asking folks to show and tell what they do with a dead tree.

In my case, I was involved in helping a tree become reincarnated into a poignant exhibit commemorating its life. The tree was an Eastern White Cedar which, despite all efforts, died an untimely death at the Pacific Bonsai Museum.

I arrived at the Museum in March as a newly minted volunteer and Aarin Packard, the Curator, pulled me over to look over what was obviously a dead tree. Aarin thought that it had the makings of a great opening exhibit for upcoming World War Bonsai - Remembrance and Resilience exhibition.

All I needed to do was sand all of the bark off of the tree and otherwise prep it for the final set up. Luckily Aarin had already done the base of the trunk and begun on a couple lower pads. Out came the Dremel w/extension and a sanding barrel bit. And away I worked..... 8 hours later I was sorta done with a couple pads and more of the trunk. (sorta ain't near good enough!)

The next day there I spent 7 more hours got the mid trunk done and some more pads given a once over. (I found out later that each branch needed to be gone over 3x and then strip sanded!)

Aarin suggested that I take the tree home and work on it there. This is what I took home.

Tree1.jpg

Notice that the 'spiderwebbing' of the branches on top are not touched yet. Turns out these areas took 65-75% of the time. I spent a couple more days at home on it.... the tree was starting to look good.

Tree2.jpg
Tree3.JPG

Now two half days of detail work. A series of different bits, slower going, fine branches and crotches (Ugh). Don't ever forget your PPE and Hearing protection!! Earlier I also used goatskin gloves for the close in work to give me dexterity and grip, while protecting my hands

Tree4.jpg
Tree5.JPG

Another half day doing crotch work in the 'spiderwebbing' atop the tree, then working downwards, especially underneath with various bits. (Maybe I should've been a Urologist?)

Tree6.jpg

Finally, its the ole two step. Light pressure washing, then strip and small pad sanding 200/400 & sometimes 600 grit wet or dry for at least another half day. Sometimes I even got to take off my mask!

Tree7.jpg

I'm done! Off to the Pacific Bonsai Museum. Aarin and I discussed the design. Amazingly we both came up with similar set ups. The set up was enhanced because one of the staff members had accidently broken the pot the tree was originally in. We thought this had to be included to give the exhibit more power and strength.

Aarin did the setup. It turned out to be awesome!

Tree8.jpg

Off to Scarlett and crew for three 4 hour stints of lime sulfer... good detail work takes time! Each time the tree looked better and better.

Finally the exhibit was almost ready. Toss in some media, arrange the broken shards of pot... and its really finished! And a good thing too, as the Exibition was going to open in 2 days! The tree is the opening exhibit of the exhibition. Here's most of the crew. Aarin in back, Scarlett on the left and I'm leaning back on the exhibit guardrail on the right.

Tree9.jpg

The exhibit looks especially good in the early morning and the later afternoon sunlight. Here it is all by itself around 4:30pm PST.

Tree10.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the journey! Tell us what your story is, good, bad or in flames.

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Very cool! I haven’t managed to kill anything yet in the year I’ve had trees (despite my best efforts 😂). Maybe all those years reading about bonsai wishing I could afford it thinking 10k+ trees were the norm paid off. Unless you count failed cuttings and the like? Of course if they did die I would have a stick with a few twigs. So not worth saving.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Sometimes I see dead trees in nature and still find them attractive and interesting. What you have done here is beautiful. Why don't we do this more often?

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
The result is truly magnificent, and it was worth it.

There is a dramatic aspect, it reminds me a little of petrified and dead trees that we can sometimes observe in nature.

A beautiful tribute to the beauty of this tree.

Top Bottom