What have you bought in a moment of weakness, that you didn't need?

Relic37

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All my moments are moments of weakness when it comes to bonsai.
As an example, I am selling a Kaneshin concave cutter to a friend, because I had seen a good one online and purchased it, forgetting that I had already the same tool in my toolbox.
Impulse they call it, old age I call it.
As I have grown older I often buy a duplicates of items I forgot I already have. My wife has repeatedly given me grief over this mindless habit. I have grown to accept it and even celebrate this poor memory issue because as time progresses, I will have accumulated "back-ups" for nearly everything I won. Can't find it in the shed? I bet I have a back-up in the garage...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Small Princess Persimmon :)
I already promised myself to just buy more developed tree (not a small, stick in pots) since I dont have enough space anymore.
But I saw a Persimmon with red fruit, and cannot resist to take it home.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bought another tree... in my defense it was a workshop tree. Texas Persimmon.
20230305_172440.jpg20230305_172514.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I bought a two-for-one pot deal from my club at one of our shows. Actually, they were oval trays about 1/2" deep and 10" long. About the only thing I could think of was to make a suiseki rock planting. It actually worked out well. It's a nice addition to my bonsai garden.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I have grown older I often buy a duplicates of items I forgot I already have. My wife has repeatedly given me grief over this mindless habit. I have grown to accept it and even celebrate this poor memory issue because as time progresses, I will have accumulated "back-ups" for nearly everything I won. Can't find it in the shed? I bet I have a back-up in the garage...
So you call them duplicates too? It is better than saying I forgot I had one already. ;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been a bit crazy spending my parents money (RIP). Aside from a new truck cameras, guns, and camping gear, relating to bonsai I have bought about 80 seedlings, half a dozen pre-bonsai, about a dozen pots, and I am going to pick up a more or less finished bonsai Ponderosa pine in about an hour or so.
Thanks Mom & Dad. Love you.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been a bit crazy spending my parents money (RIP). Aside from a new truck cameras, guns, and camping gear, relating to bonsai I have bought about 80 seedlings, half a dozen pre-bonsai, about a dozen pots, and I am going to pick up a more or less finished bonsai Ponderosa pine in about an hour or so.
Thanks Mom & Dad. Love you.
Please show us your ponderosa pine when you have it in your possession.

mook1178

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I really don't need this, but the dwarf size makes it OK

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well.
LadyRider often looks at me and shakes her head.
Me think I am her moment of weakness.
For me, it was a crotch rocket that could go 170 mph. Whether I ever got there is for no body to know.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought over 450 tree seeds (Acer, Stewartia, Pinus, Ulmus and Zelkova). Even at 10 % germination I will run out of space.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me it's a flat of grodan Rockwool. Way too advanced for me and its one piece so I'd pretty much have to use it all at once. Should have kept my receipt 😂

Edit: a flat as in one nursery tray's worth

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well.
LadyRider often looks at me and shakes her head.
Me think I am her moment of weakness.
For me, it was a crotch rocket that could go 170 mph. Whether I ever got there is for no body to know.

I once built a 1987 Toyota Supra... Made a twin turbo setup from Mercedes Diesel parts and chopping up a Jeep exhaust header...

I understand, friend.

I miss those speeds, still, sometimes...

Just not "worth it" anymore, I guess!

🤣🤣

AlexJordan

Seedling
Reaction score
It's always fun to try new things and experiment with different plants, so I think it's a great idea to give it a shot! Azaleas can be beautiful and rewarding plants to grow, and having a variety of cultivars in one pot can make for a stunning display. Just be sure to carefully separate and transplant them after they have finished blooming, and provide the necessary winter protection to help them thrive in your area. Good luck!

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I once built a 1987 Toyota Supra... Made a twin turbo setup from Mercedes Diesel parts and chopping up a Jeep exhaust header...

I understand, friend.

I miss those speeds, still, sometimes...

Just not "worth it" anymore, I guess!

🤣🤣
NEVER regret buying go-fast things!

I've been good with tree purchases as of late since I've only been looking to add value to the overall collection instead of just another tree. I was definitely proud when I visited Randy Knight's place and did not acquire a single tree! Non bonsai-related however, there's plenty on that list...

Top Bottom